Evan Michael Gross has passed away!

It is with great sadness that Rainmaker Research Inc. announces the loss of it’s founder, Evan Michael Gross, who passed away suddenly at the end of June, 2012.

Evan was the author of Spell Catcher software and owner of Rainmaker Research Inc. The original version was released as Thunder! in 1986 and evolved into what we know as Spell Catcher software today.

If you would like to leave remarks concerning Evan, you are invited to do so in this blog entry.

17 Responses to “Evan Michael Gross has passed away!”

1. John Tytler says:

I first met Evan at the University of Waterloo back in 1978… we were in the same undergrad class, and I began working with Evan in ’87, first developing software for the Mac, then turning to the “Dark Side” (Windows) in the early 90’s.

It was always a pleasure working with Evan, taking his dogs for mid-day walks, and doing what we wanted on our own time.

In total we worked 20 years together at his house in Toronto. It’s hard to believe so much time has passed! Evan was a great friend, from whom I learned much… and I believe the most important things had nothing to do with computers.

RIP Evan, you will be missed!

2. stephanie says:

Evan was the best big brother, he helped me a lot with web coding and he was always great to talk to about anything. I am so proud of what he has accomplished and will miss him so much.

Evan, RIP, I love you most awesome big bro. You were a unique, kind soul who was so smart and I could always rely on your logical way of looking at things. You’re always in my heart and memories!

3. I have know Evan for several years. I have never met him in person, but we exchanged quite a few e-mails over the years (I was one of the French localizers of his application).
    He was truly the most dedicated, knowledgeable person you could imagine. Always going the extra mile to make sure no stone was left unturned and things were taken care of.

His accomplishments were tremendous and he will truly be missed! All my thoughts today go with him family and close ones,

4. jhamdotme says:

Gut punch. I didn’t know Evan personally, but for the past few years, we’ve traded emails on occasion, and he was always helpful and kind.

What he created in Spell Catcher X is one of my absolute favorite Mac apps. It’s something that I use all day every day. And so—I’m trying hard not to sound callous here—I’m hoping that he wasn’t the lone developer, and that this project will somehow continue in his absence, as somewhat of an enduring legacy.

The human loss is obviously the greater loss, without question. But it’d be a shame to lose two great things at once.

5. dianeoforegon says:

I’m a long time SpellCatcherX user and have worked on occasion with Evan. He will be missed. He was truly dedicated and so helpful to everyone. My sympathies to his family.

6. So sad to hear of Evan’s death. My condolences to his friends and family. I’ve been a loyal customer and user of his software since Thunder! the 80s. I always made it a point to say hello to Evan and thank him for his wonderful software whenever I saw him (usually at various Macworld Expos over the years.) We’ve lost a great talent and a very nice guy.

7. TomEck says:

I’m a long time SpellCatcherX user too and have worked on occasion with Evan (beta testing and localizing SC X). I always enjoyed to exchange thoughts with him and as others have pointed out well, he will be missed. My sympathies to his family.

8. Pogo007 says:

I was a relatively new faculty member in Systems Design Engineering when Evan was working on his MASc degree and I immediately took a liking to him as a result, in part, of the energy he projected to those around him. I recall sitting in his apartment on Erb Street where he demonstrated one of many things he was working on. One thing we had in common was an appreciation of the innovations that Apple brought to the computer industry and Evan, as we all know, was a developer of software that was ahead of its time on a platform that others were slow to adopt. He clearly had vision but was humble in his pursuits. He will be missed by many as a friend, a colleague and as a pioneer.

9. rdouma says:

What an incredibly sad news. My condolences to his family, friends and coworkers. I only know Evan from the few times in which we had e-mail exchanges. He made a lasting impression on me, both through his dedication to and the quality of Spell Catcher. It is one of the most helpful pieces of software I use.

10. chenoa says:

I never met Evan, but was fortunate to exchange a few e-mails with him when I originally purchased Spell Catcher and was having a few difficulties. His prompt, kind and thoughtful response and support made me instantly appreciate what he had created. It wasn’t until a year or so later that I fully began to appreciate the amazing power of Spell Catcher. For some strange reason, I have a strong affinity and appreciation for good software and the people who create it.

Thanks to Pierre Igot for making me aware of Spell Catcher and indirectly Evan Michael Gross.

Thank you, and RIP EMG!!!

11. jameskatt says:

I am sad that Evan has passed. He was so young.
    I am grateful for the time Evan was with us.

I have used Spell Catcher since the beginning.
    I hope Spell Catcher finds a new home and is continued.

To Evan, we celebrate your life.

12. tharpold says:

This is terrible, sad news.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Evan. I’ve relied on his superb software for more than 20 years (I was a Thunder! 1.0 user), and I’ve corresponded with him many times in a tech support context, in search of advice, to report a bug, to recommend a change. I always found him to be engaging, cordial, utterly and unusually appreciative of his users.

He will be very much missed.

13. loftybecker says:

Just heard the news, and was stunned. I’ve known Evan, slightly, more than a quarter century. His software always had a special elegance that can’t be replaced even if its functionality is. Kind and gracious, he’ll be greatly missed by me and many others.

14. podiii says:

I waited for over a year to migrate to OSX because SpellCatcher was not yet available. I always thought this to be one of the most useful and mandatory utilities for the Mac. Evan was always responsive to my every email and suggestion. I was truly saddened to learn only today of his passing.

15. bizbeblu says:

I was stunned to learn via email that Evan is gone. I’ve traded so many emails with him over the years (from the early days of Thunder! [3 maybe?]) that I feel as if I knew him. Evan created (and supported) a world class piece of software used by 1,000s probably 10,000s. I will miss him and am sure others will also. My heart felt concern for those left behind. Having been there, I can only say that time does ease loss, but the wound is never truly gone.

I really hope someone steps up and takes over support and continuation of SCX. Speaking selfishly, I was about to move up (or maybe sideways ;-) to ML. Really have to rethink that now.

RIP Evan.

Robert Sorrels

16. steven.douglas says:

Wowzers. I was just wandering around the ‘net and stumbled on this. I’m very sad to hear about this. I only knew Evan briefly, in the late ’80’s to the early ’90’s. One of the many publishers of Thunder was Batteries Included. They didn’t know what they had with the product (Evan brought it to them). When BI went under and Electronic Arts picked up the pan-drippings, things weren’t better for Evan. He was frustrated. (He also had another product … MacBatteryPak??? or something?)

I remember flying back with him from an Electronic Arts “Artist’s Conference” in 1987 and discussing what we were each going to do going forward.

We were never friends but we did keep in loose touch for a few years afterwards and he was the first guy I called when I suddenly got a mandate to convert a mess-DOS product into a “windowing” product. overnight, or at least Real Soon Now.

Evan was very polite, told me what I already knew (but now it was official that this wouldn’t work) and then we got onto more important things and reminisced for a while.

That was almost 20 years ago. Sigh.

I am very sad to hear this news. Evan was a cool guy.

Steve Douglas