Rainmaker Research Releases Revolutionary Writer’s Reference Software for Mac OS X
Spell Catcher X Combines World Class Multilingual Spell Checking with Suite of Writing Productivity Tools
Toronto, ON—October 7, 2008—Rainmaker Research, Inc. today announced the immediate availability of Spell Catcher X version 10.3, a major new release of the industry’s most advanced collection of writing productivity tools. Not only does Spell Catcher provide spell checking services for more than a dozen languages, but it does much more. Among its sophisticated features are the following:
- DirectCorrect, an entirely new way to check and correct spelling that allows users to work in a flexible manner: check and fix interactively as errors appear or continue working and fix all errors when it is most convenient. DirectCorrect leverages advanced Mac OS X text and accessibility technology to provide virtually instantaneous display of errors.
- Spell Catcher auto-corrects common typing errors. Users often mistype a word, possibly inverting two letters. Spell Catcher is intelligent enough to be taught that mistake so that it will automatically correct the error.
- Audible error alerts that warn when mistakes are made, permitting the user to view the suggested correction and act immediately or defer the correction
- User assignable keyboard commands allow individuals to customize the way the application works. Just assign any menu item a keyboard combination that is easy to remember and typing that combination activates the corresponding menu selection.
- Spell Catcher gathers information not only from its internal dictionaries, but Internet sources as well. Users can obtain additional information about any word that has been flagged, including correct pronunciation
- Seamless integration with the Mac OS X Spelling Panel and support for the following languages: US English, British English, French, Canadian French, German, Swiss German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Dutch, Canadian English, Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, Danish and Russian. Also new in Spell Catcher 10.3 is a French localization.
- Vastly improved spelling suggestions, updated dictionaries, and larger vocabulary as a result of Spell Catcher’s incorporation of a new Proximity Linguistic System.
In addition to its unmatched flexibility and extensive features for avoiding spelling mistakes, Spell Catcher offers a treasure trove of tools for enhancing the writing experience, whether it is personal, business or creative.
Shorthand Saves Time and Keystrokes
- A built-in Shorthand Glossary feature saves time by permitting users to automatically enter words, phrases, or even entire documents with just a few keystrokes. Simply assign some letters or numbers to a frequently used phrase and whenever those letters are typed, the text is automatically expanded. It will even maintain the correct upper and lower case format and remove any extra spaces. For example, if a user frequently includes boilerplate information such as: “Copyright 2008, Rainmaker Inc., All Rights Reserved”, the shorthand feature enables the user to have all that text entered by just typing “crr”.
Choosing the Right Word: More than 2 Million Synonyms and Antonyms
- Spell Catcher incorporates a writer’s reference book containing multiple dictionaries and an assortment of thesauri that yields more than 2,000,000 synonyms and antonyms.
Spell Catcher Completes the Job Automatically
- Auto-completion watches your keystrokes and searches the computer and automatically enters information into your document. Examples of information that is automatically entered via this feature are company names, names and email addresses of individuals in the address book, phone numbers and any matching words found in the dictionary or shorthand glossary.
Professional Editor in a Box
- Like having a professional proofreader at your side, Spell Catcher corrects double spaces, double capitals, double punctuation and an array of other common mistakes that are often difficult to find and fix.
Invisible Backup Feature Guards Against Loss of Work
- Ghostwriter monitors, records and saves keystrokes, thereby protecting against data loss that can occur in a computer crash, freeze or power outage. It can even help find that URL that you forgot to bookmark but desperately need to locate.
Spell Catcher Macros Fix Common Annoyances
Simple point and click text manipulation macros allow Spell Catcher to clean up common text problems automatically. Email programs often show quoted text by inserting “>“ and it can be time consuming to try to remove all of these quoting characters. Spell Catcher allows the user to automatically remove these with a click. Additional macro capabilities include the ability to:
- Strip white space and unwanted characters
- Automatically change case to upper or lower case or format text as title case
- Display statistics, create smart quotes and display quoted sections
- Create custom macros to suit individual needs
Are You Talking to Me?
- Speech recognition allows a user to control Spell Catcher with audible commands. Just tell Spell Catcher what you want it to do and it will follow your instructions, whether you want to spell-check a selection or run a macro.
Pricing and Availability
Spell Catcher X version 10.3 for Macintosh is available for immediate purchase from the Rainmaker Research Inc. online store at Kagi
A 14-day trial version is available from the Rainmaker Research Inc. Downloads page.
Spell Catcher X requires Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.3 or later) or Leopard.
Spell Catcher X retails for $39.95.
Users who purchased Spell Catcher X version 10.2.x on or after September 1, 2007 are eligible for a free upgrade.
Other licensed users of SpellCatcher X version 10.2.x can purchase upgrades for $14.95.
Owners of Spell Catcher X 10.1 or earlier versions of SpellCatcher X can upgrade for $19.95.
Spell Catcher X users can purchase language plug-ins for Dutch, Canadian English, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish and Russian for an additional $10 each.
Spell Catcher Plus version 3 is also available for Windows.