• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jpeauroi

jpeauroi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

My copy of SC plus (build 1842, on XP Pro) has lost its main dictionary. When I start up, I get a message that "There is no main dictionary loaded with the current language" and the the US English (and US Geo, US biology, ...) have lost their checkmark in the ref files settings. When I try to add them back, I click add, navigate to the US english folder under c:\prog file\scp\... but I cannot get these files to display and am unable to select and add the main dictionary back. (I have confirmed they are still on my C drive.)

One possibly relevant issue, I recently deleted (and have subsequently restored) the US English Words to Correct file from my C drive just before this occurred. I relocated it to a network drive, where I also store my own personal glossaries. I did this so that SC would load my personal glossary first, then the network copy of US English words to correct second. That way, when I select edit glossary, my personal file, being first in the list, comes up as the default. Restoring the file back to my C drive has not corrected the problem. Did this cause the problem with the main dictionary? Is there a different/better way to accomplish this?

Have I irreparably corrupted my settings file? Do I need to delete and start all over?
Thanks, JP

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

Hi John,

I don't think your main dictionary is lost... I think it has just been unloaded. This seems to happen every so often to people.

The remedy is simple.

Just open up the Settings dialog, and go to the Reference Files Panel.

Look in the list and make sure there is a yellow check mark on the left side of the line displaying the Main Spelling references for US English. Once the checkmark is in place, just click the OK button.

I think this is all that is needed.

Let me know here,
Thanks,
John Tytler
Author - Spell Catcher Plus