• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 markmanxp

markmanxp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

I need to remove the autocorrection for the word "website". I want it as "website" but SPC+ always changes it to "Web site".

I tried to remove the words "website web site" from the file US English Words to Correct.3sc using a text editor (metapad). I had to change the attribute READ so I could save the file. After making the change Spell Checker would no longer launch. I had to reinstall SpellCheck over the current installation to recover.

So can I edit this file and make this change or am I stuck with it?

Thanks

Mark

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

I need to remove the autocorrection for the word "website". I want it as "website" but SPC+ always changes it to "Web site".

I tried to remove the words "website web site" from the file US English Words to Correct.3sc using a text editor (metapad). I had to change the attribute READ so I could save the file. After making the change Spell Checker would no longer launch. I had to reinstall SpellCheck over the current installation to recover.

So can I edit this file and make this change or am I stuck with it?

Thanks

Mark

Do this instead of editing the file with a text editor (shorthand glossary files may appear to be human-readable text, but each entry is delimited by an ASCII null (0) character - you have to be very careful when editing these manually):

- Change the file's attributes to allow read/write access, exactly as you did before.
- Use Spell Catcher Plus to edit the file, not a text editor. Remove the shorthand(s) you don't want and save the file.

#3 andrewtetley

andrewtetley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

I am replying to this topic as I cannot find a way to post a new topic and this topic looks the closest I can find.

I am trying to add words to correct to my "British English Words to Correct" spelling reference file. The help section says you just hit the plus sign (top of left hand column) or hit command= and go ahead. However, everything in the window is greyed out so nothing can be added (or edited). What is going on? Picture attached.

Thanks

PS I can edit/add to "British English - My Shorthands", which is not greyed out!! Confused.

Attached File  ScreenSnapz.jpg   36KB   2 downloads