• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ccrossman

ccrossman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

I use Spell Catcher 10.2.3 running in OS X 10.4.8 on a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 Mac. For a long time now, whenever I do a Restart or Shutdown, I get the spinning beach ball as OS X attempts to make Spell Catcher quit. On average it takes over 30 seconds. Now that might not seem like a long time, but it does drag things down if you do a lot of Restarts or Shutdowns. But what really makes things worse is sometimes (not every time), the Spell Catcher quit process takes so long that OS X will actually Time Out and abort the Shutdown or Restart! Then I have to MANUALLY first Quit out of Spell Catcher and then initiate the Restart or Shutdown. Even worse, sometimes I just have to perform a Force Quit on Spell Catcher so that I can do a Restart or Shutdown!

Can you help or is this a common occurrence with everyone?

Thanks!

Craig Crossman

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

I use Spell Catcher 10.2.3 running in OS X 10.4.8 on a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 Mac. For a long time now, whenever I do a Restart or Shutdown, I get the spinning beach ball as OS X attempts to make Spell Catcher quit. On average it takes over 30 seconds. Now that might not seem like a long time, but it does drag things down if you do a lot of Restarts or Shutdowns. But what really makes things worse is sometimes (not every time), the Spell Catcher quit process takes so long that OS X will actually Time Out and abort the Shutdown or Restart! Then I have to MANUALLY first Quit out of Spell Catcher and then initiate the Restart or Shutdown. Even worse, sometimes I just have to perform a Force Quit on Spell Catcher so that I can do a Restart or Shutdown!

Can you help or is this a common occurrence with everyone?

Thanks!

Craig Crossman

This is not common - and should NOT be happening! Is it 100% reproducible?

What happens if you try to Quit the Spell Catcher application manually - not when logging out or restarting?

I think something might be hosed on your system - you might try it with a fresh set of Spell Catcher preferences to see if that helps.

Quit the Spell Catcher app (sorry), then move the com.rainmaker.SpellCacher.plist file out of your home Library/Preferences folder (so you can restore it - don't trash it unless it's a problem!), then fire Spell Catcher up again to create fresh prefs.

Let me know the answers to the above - it certainly should NOT be happening!

#3 ccrossman

ccrossman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Evan,

I did what you suggested. Relauncing SC only made it seem to work even harder before it decided to give me back my desktop from the spinning ball. So i, I decided to put the old plist back because I would otherwise have to redo al my preferences. Lo and behold, it's now really FAST (so far). So when I removed the old plist and ran SC, does it also rewrite some other things as well? Maybe what was bad was rewritten and then putting back the old plist saved my preferences and correct the problem? Does that sound plausible? Maybe give you some insight as to what may have happened?

Thanks!

Craig

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

Evan,

I did what you suggested. Relauncing SC only made it seem to work even harder before it decided to give me back my desktop from the spinning ball. So i, I decided to put the old plist back because I would otherwise have to redo al my preferences. Lo and behold, it's now really FAST (so far). So when I removed the old plist and ran SC, does it also rewrite some other things as well? Maybe what was bad was rewritten and then putting back the old plist saved my preferences and correct the problem? Does that sound plausible? Maybe give you some insight as to what may have happened?

Thanks!

Craig

Your theory is indeed plausible, given that the input method was probably still active at the time, and that the input method shares the same preference file, and given that the way that application preferences generally work on Mac OS X.

Still, hard to say anything definitive after-the-fact.

I should probably also have recommended doing the same thing with the input method's preference file (the com.rainmaker.SpellCatcher.InputMethodUIServer.plist one)...

Anyway, if the problem resurfaces, let me know...

#5 Bronsteen

Bronsteen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

Evan,

Thanks!

Craig

Your theory is indeed plausible, given that the input method was probably still active at the time, and that the input method shares the same preference file, and given that the way that application preferences generally work on Mac OS X.

Still, hard to say anything definitive after-the-fact.

I should probably also have recommended doing the same thing with the input method's preference file (the com.rainmaker.SpellCatcher.InputMethodUIServer.plist one)...

Anyway, if the problem resurfaces, let me know...

I had been having the exact same problem for years. SC would not quit on restarts on shutdowns. Always had to force quit.

This seem to fix the problem.

Thanks

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

I had been having the exact same problem for years. SC would not quit on restarts on shutdowns. Always had to force quit.

Thanks

What fixed it? Trashing the com.rainmaker.SpellCatcher.InputMethodUIServer.plist file?

Why didn't you ask us earlier? It would be wrong to assume you were seeing normal behavior by any stretch of the imagination...

#7 Bronsteen

Bronsteen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

Thanks

What fixed it? Trashing the com.rainmaker.SpellCatcher.InputMethodUIServer.plist file?

Why didn't you ask us earlier? It would be wrong to assume you were seeing normal behavior by any stretch of the imagination...

Trashing and then replacing the .plist fixed it. I had the problem for many years, but never saw anyone else mention it so I just lived with it. I could not live without Spell Catcher and was will to deal with having to force quit on every restart.

#8 stevej1

stevej1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

I realize this is a very old topic, but my issue seems to relate best to this topic (although in a much newer OS).

When I log out or restart, Spell Catcher launches during the logout sequence, displays its preferences window, and aborts the logout. I then have to quit SpellCatcher and re-logout. This happens on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro, both under OS X 10.7.2 with "reopen windows on login" active (it may have begun when I recently started using Apple Mail and leaving it open at logout, but I can't swear to that). This is, of course, rather annoying.

I don't see any other reports of this issue, so it must not be prevalent. Perhaps there's a solution nonetheless. Thanks!

#9 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I realize this is a very old topic, but my issue seems to relate best to this topic (although in a much newer OS).

When I log out or restart, Spell Catcher launches during the logout sequence, displays its preferences window, and aborts the logout. I then have to quit SpellCatcher and re-logout. This happens on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro, both under OS X 10.7.2 with "reopen windows on login" active (it may have begun when I recently started using Apple Mail and leaving it open at logout, but I can't swear to that). This is, of course, rather annoying.

I don't see any other reports of this issue, so it must not be prevalent. Perhaps there's a solution nonetheless. Thanks!

What version of Spell Catcher X?

Are your Language & Text System Preferences set as described In this FAQ?

In Mail, how are your Composing preferences set for "When to check spelling"?

They should be set to "Never", but for entirely different reasons.

#10 stevej1

stevej1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

<p>This is SpellCatcher 10.4; both input methods say &quot;Build 1&quot;. Language and text preferences were set as described in the FAQ. Unchecking the box in Language and Text solved the shutdown problem, but I presume also disabled much of SpellCatcher.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>SpellCatcher always showed up in the Dock with the &quot;running&quot; dot (and still does, even with Language and Text unchecked). When I logged out, I was generally able to watch SpellCatcher quit from the Dock, then a few seconds later relaunch (reappear in the Dock as running) and abort logout. SpellCatcher worked fine until I (1) began using Mail instead of webmail, (2) upgraded Lion from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2, and (3) began using iTunes Match. I can&#39;t imagine iTunes Match is involved, but maybe one (or a combination) of the other two?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Oh, and Mail composing preferences turn out to have been set for &quot;check while typing&quot;. I have now changed that to &quot;Never&quot;.</p>
<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">&nbsp;</div>

#11 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

Does this still happen with Spell Catcher X 10.4.1?