• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:20 AM

Apple iMac Power PC G3 OS9.1 320MB RAM Cable access.

SpellCatcher, Grammarian, Norton's Personal Firewall, , Epson Photo 700 printer,POPMoniter 2.1.1, Pop-Up Zapper Lite, Palm Zire/Palm Desktop.
All have the latest versions.

I have used SpellCatcher 8.1.2 [first with OS9.0.4 and for the past six months with OS9.1] for two and a half years without any conflicts or problems. Three weeks ago Outlook Express started to freeze each time I used the apostrophe key when working on Outlook Express.

I found that disabling SP8 solved the problem, but then I had no SP8 in the app where I need it most.

Since then I have done everything from trashing preferences, increasing memory, re-installing SP8 and Outlook Express , rebuilt the desktop, zapped the PRAM, ran Disk First Aid, TechToolPro, ConflictCatcher8 , Diskwarrior [all report no problems] and done a clean reinstall of OS9.1

SP8 is problem free when used with other apps. I moved to Netscape Communicator and to Mozilla, where I found I could use SP8 but not Grammarian; both are important daily tools.

The problem persists, and I will be grateful if you can suggest a solution.
Kate

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:14 AM

Apple iMac Power PC G3 OS9.1 320MB RAM        Cable access.

SpellCatcher, Grammarian, Norton's Personal Firewall, , Epson Photo 700 printer,POPMoniter 2.1.1, Pop-Up Zapper Lite, Palm Zire/Palm Desktop.
All have the latest versions.

I have used SpellCatcher 8.1.2 [first with OS9.0.4 and for the past six months with OS9.1] for two and a half years without any conflicts or problems. Three weeks ago Outlook Express started to freeze each time I used the apostrophe key when working on Outlook Express.

I found that disabling SP8 solved the problem, but then I had no SP8 in the app where I need it most.

Since then I have done everything from trashing preferences, increasing memory, re-installing SP8 and Outlook Express , rebuilt the desktop, zapped the PRAM, ran Disk First Aid, TechToolPro, ConflictCatcher8 , Diskwarrior [all report no problems] and done a clean reinstall of OS9.1

SP8 is problem free when used with other apps. I moved to Netscape Communicator and to Mozilla, where I found I could use SP8 but not Grammarian; both are important daily tools.

The problem persists, and I will be grateful if you can suggest a solution.
Kate

Well, if it used to work, it can work again. Especially if it worked problem-free for 2 years.

So something has changed or gotten corrupted on your machine. Sounds like you've tried very hard to find out what.

Have you tried trashing your Outlook Express prefs? Have you tried rebuilding your Outlook Express database? Since this is a localized problem (specific to OE) it's likely that somethings up with IT, not with SC8.

Read the OE troubleshooting about rebuilding your databases - it's some sort of hold-down-option while launching thing.

Sounds like your disk is in ok shape - it's definitely some sort of corrupt file or prefs file. When you re-installed the OS, did you do a Clean Install, or install over your existing installation? The latter does nothing to clean up damaged prefs. The former will do that, but if you then drag the contents of your previous system's Preferences folder into the new clean one, you could be right back where you started from.

None of the tools you ran can detect damaged data or preferences files. This is something you can only do manually yourself. And it's a real pain. Don't know what else to suggest. It worked for years and stopped. That means something's damaged in my experience. Finding out what it is can be difficult. Maybe MacFixIt or Macintouch or some other site like that has some better suggestions for finding out this kind of thing.

Keep trying, you'll find the culprit.