• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GregR

GregR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

I have downloaded the trial version of Spell Catcher with the full intention of making a purchase. I really appreciate the opportunity to test drive the product before purchase.

Installation went smooth. The initial tutorial started and I follwed along with the examples.

I am unclear on one function: if I ignore the as-you-type spelling correction, I should be able to press the Ctrl key at a later time, while the file is still open, and the "Suggest Spelling" dialogue box should appear with the misspelled word in the "Word to use" box. Instead, the box pops up without any word in the "Word to use" box, with a message stating "No error detected".

I have noticed that it only works if I press the [Ctrl] *before* I hit the [Enter] key, but not afterwards. Is this the design intention? I suspect that is the case, but it wasn't clear to me that I had to press [Ctrl] before pressing [Enter] when I read the manual and Help screen.

I am using Windows XP Pro with all the latest patches. I have closed all non-essential programs during this test, and have tried this using Outlook and Word 2003 with the same results.

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your message. Two things here to point out:

1) When you tell Spell Catcher to Ignore a detected error, that error is ignored from that point on, unless you retype the word or you use Check Selection to examine words already typed for errors.

2) There is a checkbox in Spell Catcher's Settings dialog ->Typing panel that you may want to turn off. It is called "Tab and Enter key processing". This box is checked by default, meaning Spell Catcher wants to process all outstanding errors before allowing you to press either the ENTER or TAB key.

This box should be checked when you are using Spell Catcher with spreadsheets and database applications that have cell and field inputs. It is not necessary to have this box checked when working with a text editor like Notepad or Word since Spell Catcher is free to back up to any previous error.

Get back to me if you have more questions or need further clarification.
Sincerely,
John Tytler
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

#3 GregR

GregR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

2) There is a checkbox in Spell Catcher's Settings dialog ->Typing panel that you may want to turn off. It is called "Tab and Enter key processing". This box is checked by default, meaning Spell Catcher wants to process all outstanding errors before allowing you to press either the ENTER or TAB key.

Thanks, problem solved!