5 replies to this topic

#1 dbnfred

dbnfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hi,
I have several macros that play back some technical configuration structures. When I play back a macro, I see SCP displaying the pop-up window attempting to correct what it thought are spelling errors. This causes erratic behavior in the macro.
I remember when I used MacroExpress, this was not an issue for some reason that I do not know why. However, when I switched to PerfectKeyboard, it happens all the time.

I do not know how these apps send key strokes and if SCP is smart enough to tell if a key stroke is sent via actual Kb vs. via an automation tool.

- What are my options to resolve this issue?
- Is there a way to have SCP ignore key strokes sent via software vs. hardware KB?

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

#2 dbnfred

dbnfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

anybody home?

#3 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

anybody home?

Looks like John didn't see this message when he was in today.

He might have an answer for you, me, being the Mac Guy, can only think of one possibility (OK, two - three):

1. If by some (unlikely) chance, the macro app you're using remains the active application while executing a macro, you should simply be able to turn interactive checking off while it's active. I say this is unlikely because these types of programs usually change the active app/window as required.
2. Remember to turn interactive checking off before executing a macro.
3. As part of the macros that cause problems, make the first step of their execution to turn interactive checking off, then the last step to turn it back on again.

THAT SAID, John will probably have something more useful for you to try.

You could always go back to using the macro program that didn't cause you trouble (semi-joking)...

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hi there,

Yes, Evan has some good suggestions for you...

Try assigning a hot key to Spell Catcher’s “Interactive Checking” menu item. Choose any key combination you want (eg. CTRL + F2). Then add this key sequence to the beginning and end of a macro to see if it now turns Spell Catcher’s interactive checking off then on again as part of the macro.

This is probably your best bet, though you could consider adding whatever key sequence is bothering Spell Catcher to a reference, so Spell Catcher no longer complains. This may or may not be practical depending on what the macro does...

Let us know if this helps,
John Tytler
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

#5 dbnfred

dbnfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

it works 80% of the time ,but ...
- How long should macro wait for SCP to response to the disable/enable hotkey. In some instances, it took more than 1.5 secs. Is there a time you recommend?

- Why is that SCP never detected macros written by MacroExpress but not PerfectKeyboard. Do these apps send key strokes at a different level than SCP?

- Not that I got your attention on a different subject, are you updating SCP at all? It has been years since we saw an update.

Thank you for everything.

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hi there,

I'm surprised to hear that it can take 1.5 seconds for Spell Catcher to respond to the hot key command to disable interactive checking... no ideas about this, I'm not an expert on how the OS multi-tasks... perhaps Spell Catcher was had not been active for a while and needed more time to get loaded into the processor? (Just a guess)

I’m not familiar with either of those macro utilities. To my knowledge there is only one means in which keyboard events can be “inserted” into other apps. What is happening with PerfectKeyboard is that it is hooking into the app’s key event stream (just as Spell Catcher does) and it passes key events onto Spell Catcher, so Spell Catcher has a chance to complain about spelling. The other macro app must not be passing key events onto Spell Catcher, hence - Spell Catcher isn’t troubled by its macro operations.

As for an update to Spell Catcher, yes, I’m working on it now after a really long break from programming. I was hoping to have it ready in the Fall of 2006 - obviously missed that timeline. At this point I don’t even want to estimate, other than to say sometime in 2008.

The new version looks really great... you’ll like it when it comes out!

John Tytler
Author - Spell Catcher Plus
Rainmaker Research, Inc.