• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lcpguy

lcpguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

Well, I guess the topic description says it all...

If it's already there, I can't seem to find it. :unsure:

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

Sorry, I don't get what you mean here...

Exclude web sites from what exactly? From some feature in Spell Catcher? From something on our website?

What is the problem you need to solve?

#3 lcpguy

lcpguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Exclude web sites from what exactly? From some feature in Spell Catcher? From something on our website?

Hi Evan, what I want to do is suppress SC/X on certain Flash game sites where they sometimes cause a crash of SC/X. I don't want to exclude the browser program, i.e., Omni-Web or Safari, I just want to exclude SC/X from some web-sites, just like we can do now with applications. For example, I want to exclude "neopets.com" so SC/X is inactive there.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hi Evan, what I want to do is suppress SC/X on certain Flash game sites where they sometimes cause a crash of SC/X. I don't want to exclude the browser program, i.e., Omni-Web or Safari, I just want to exclude SC/X from some web-sites, just like we can do now with applications. For example, I want to exclude "neopets.com" so SC/X is inactive there.

No, there's no way to do this. Problem is, there is no good (as in reliable, standard) way to determine the URL of the website you are viewing in any arbitrary browser.

In some browsers you can get the URL via AppleScript. But you need to use different AppleScript for each browser.

The better solution is for me to try to figure out why you're crashing, and see who's at fault.

Can you email the crash logs to our support or feedback address?

Have you reported this to us before? I vaguely recall this sort of problem with very (very!) old versions of Spell Catcher. I can't remember the exact outcome when I looked into it.

#5 lcpguy

lcpguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

No, there's no way to do this. Problem is, there is no good (as in reliable, standard) way to determine the URL of the website you are viewing in any arbitrary browser.

In some browsers you can get the URL via AppleScript. But you need to use different AppleScript for each browser.

The better solution is for me to try to figure out why you're crashing, and see who's at fault.

Can you email the crash logs to our support or feedback address?

Have you reported this to us before? I vaguely recall this sort of problem with very (very!) old versions of Spell Catcher. I can't remember the exact outcome when I looked into it.

Okay, the next time spell catcher crashes, I'll send you a log.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Unless you've manually cleaned up your home Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder, there should still be crash logs in there.

Note that if it was the browser app that crashed, the log file will contain the browser's name. You do state that "SCX" crashes (I can't imagine why the Spell Catcher app would crash in this situation, but anything's possible), so look for crash logs with "Spell Catcher" in the name as well.

So take a look in your home ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter, and if you still have logs for the browser and/or Spell Catcher, please send them to our feedback or support address.

Still, it sounds like it's not hard to reproduce. So if you don't have a log to send me, I'd really appreciate it if you could take some time to reproduce the problem and send me the crash logs. This is a good time to get any info about this to me, as I'm trying to get the first Spell Catcher X 10.3 final candidate out to the testers by the end of next week (crossing fingers, as I just figured out what looks like a good solution to an issue that's been causing me grief for weeks).

#7 lcpguy

lcpguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

Unless you've manually cleaned up your home Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder, there should still be crash logs in there.

Note that if it was the browser app that crashed, the log file will contain the browser's name. You do state that "SCX" crashes (I can't imagine why the Spell Catcher app would crash in this situation, but anything's possible), so look for crash logs with "Spell Catcher" in the name as well.

So take a look in your home ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter, and if you still have logs for the browser and/or Spell Catcher, please send them to our feedback or support address.

Still, it sounds like it's not hard to reproduce. So if you don't have a log to send me, I'd really appreciate it if you could take some time to reproduce the problem and send me the crash logs. This is a good time to get any info about this to me, as I'm trying to get the first Spell Catcher X 10.3 final candidate out to the testers by the end of next week (crossing fingers, as I just figured out what looks like a good solution to an issue that's been causing me grief for weeks).

Hey Evan, I will do as you say. However, I have had SC/X disabled on those web-sites for so long, i.e., months, that I doubt I could find anything pertinent. If you are interested, the SC/X crash always occurred the most often on playing "Typing Terror", at the end of level 4, on Neopets.com. To a lesser degree, it also happened on other games that require text input. Always Flash games.

But I would like to be a tester for you since I have been using this product since the Thunder! days.

If you already have your tester base set up, no problem. Just offering to help and not to get a new sneak preview. :blush:

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hey Evan, I will do as you say. However, I have had SC/X disabled on those web-sites for so long, i.e., months, that I doubt I could find anything pertinent. If you are interested, the SC/X crash always occurred the most often on playing "Typing Terror", at the end of level 4, on Neopets.com. To a lesser degree, it also happened on other games that require text input. Always Flash games.

Let me know if you can find the time to reproduce it with the current 10.2.3 version.

But I would like to be a tester for you since I have been using this product since the Thunder! days.

If you already have your tester base set up, no problem. Just offering to help and not to get a new sneak preview. :blush:

Send a note to our feedback address and we'll go from there. But the innard of the input method have changed quite a lot, so it would be very useful for me to understand what is going on with version 10.2.3. A proper understanding of the problem will make it possible for me to know whether the problem would also exist in the 10.3 betas. If you just installed 10.3 and it didn't happen, there would no way to truly determine whether any potential bug got fixed.

#9 lcpguy

lcpguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

Let me know if you can find the time to reproduce it with the current 10.2.3 version.

Send a note to our feedback address and we'll go from there. But the innard of the input method have changed quite a lot, so it would be very useful for me to understand what is going on with version 10.2.3. A proper understanding of the problem will make it possible for me to know whether the problem would also exist in the 10.3 betas. If you just installed 10.3 and it didn't happen, there would no way to truly determine whether any potential bug got fixed.

Well, since I turned 10.2.3 back on in those games, it hasn't crashed yet so I have nothing to report or submit. :blush:

#10 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

Well, since I turned 10.2.3 back on in those games, it hasn't crashed yet so I have nothing to report or submit. :blush:

Was this crash something you found easy to reproduce at the time you were experiencing it months ago?

If it wasn't (i.e. took more than a couple of minutes playing the game), please give it a little more time.

If you just can't make it happen, there are other variables to consider as well. Chances are good you are using a newer version of Mac OS X now - and I don't just mean 10.4 vs. 10.5. For example, 10.4.11 introduced a new version of Safari and WebKit, and that version of WebKit had significant changes (fixes and new APIs) related to handling text input from input methods. Might even be that you're using newer version of flash now then you were then.

Anyway, if it used to be easy to reproduce, and you don't see it at all over the next day or so, then I would guess it was some sort of WebKit, Safari, or Flash issue that no longer exists.

Too bad those crash logs are long gone.