4 replies to this topic

#1 dbx

dbx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 10:42 PM

Hi, Rainmaker,

I've just purchased a full version of Spell Catcher Plus for Windows XP from Kagi. I've used the product for years, both in its Mac and Windows versions.

One thing vexes me. It seems that very often in my writing I get dinged by Spell Catcher when I put a dash between words. The word is not misspelledóI've checked thatóbut SC still gives a misspelling.

In the sentence I just typed, SC interrupted twice, saying it doesn't know "misspelledI've" or "thatbut." It's as if the dash just doesn't get taken into account.

Am I setting up something wrong here?

Thanks for your help!

Dan Barnett
Butte College

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 28 August 2003 - 11:53 PM

Hi, Rainmaker,

I've just purchased a full version of Spell Catcher Plus for Windows XP from Kagi. I've used the product for years, both in its Mac and Windows versions.

One thing vexes me. It seems that very often in my writing I get dinged by Spell Catcher when I put a dash between words. The word is not misspelledóI've checked thatóbut SC still gives a misspelling.

In the sentence I just typed, SC interrupted twice, saying it doesn't know "misspelledI've" or "thatbut." It's as if the dash just doesn't get taken into account.

Am I setting up something wrong here?

Thanks for your help!

Dan Barnett
Butte College

What application(s) does this occur in? Every application, 100% of the time, or just certain apps 100% of the time, or certain apps at certain times?

John will be back tomorrow morning and probably be able to really answer your question. But he'll need info about the apps this is happening to you in (as I've asked for).

#3 dbx

dbx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:13 AM

Hi, Evan,

The problem does not seem to be specific to any program. I'm running WinXP Home, IE 6 (all the latest patches and Service Packs).

It is certainly the case that when I type in IE something like wordódashóword that SC pops up with "questionable spelling" of "wordword." There's a fuzzy area between word and word, and when I select the questionable word and paste it into this box, for instance, it comes out with the dash. But SC doesn't seem to recognize the dash. (Double hyphen, really, which I've asked SC to turn into a dash.)

Is this enough information to work on?

Dan Barnett
Butte College

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

Hi, Evan,

The problem does not seem to be specific to any program. I'm running WinXP Home, IE 6 (all the latest patches and Service Packs).

It is certainly the case that when I type in IE something like wordódashóword that SC pops up with "questionable spelling" of "wordword." There's a fuzzy area between word and word, and when I select the questionable word and paste it into this box, for instance, it comes out with the dash. But SC doesn't seem to recognize the dash. (Double hyphen, really, which I've asked SC to turn into a dash.)

Is this enough information to work on?

Dan Barnett
Butte College

Looks like John's away for the long weekend. What you've told us is probably enough for him to figure out what's going on.

I honestly can't give an intelligent answer, being the Mac guy I am.

Hang in there, I'll probably talk to him this weekend and ask if he knows what might be going on.

#5 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:38 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your posting... it seems that Spell Catcher (Windows version) is not properly recognizing the double dash character. This is a feature that I haven't used or tested for a while, and is currently not working.

It's a simple matter to fix, so I'll be getting to it this week.

I'll e-mail the fixed version to you if you'd like it sooner rather than later, but rest assured that a fix will be included with the next update.

Let me know directly if you want a fix as soon as it is ready...

Again, thanks for pointing this out.

John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows
john_at_rainmakerinc.com