7 replies to this topic

#1 skippingrock

skippingrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:22 AM

Hello,

I would really like to have a Canadian English Dictionary.

I use the British English Dictionary, but there are enough differences between the British, American and Candian English spellings that the first two don't work for me and the later is needed.

Thank you my fellow Canadian developers.

Cheers,
SkippingRock ;)

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:33 AM

Hello,

I would really like to have a Canadian English Dictionary.

I use the British English Dictionary, but there are enough differences between the British, American and Candian English spellings that the first two don't work for me and the later is needed.

Thank you my fellow Canadian developers. 

Cheers,
SkippingRock ;)

We're working on it. And more languages than just that. We hope to be able to strike a deal with our supplier and make all 20+ of their languages available. This won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen if all goes as planned.

#3 skippingrock

skippingrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:18 AM

We're working on it. And more languages than just that. We hope to be able to strike a deal with our supplier and make all 20+ of their languages available. This won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen if all goes as planned.

Coolies! B) Oops (curious! ;)

Thank you.

(A loyal user since Thunder 7.)

#4 skippingrock

skippingrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:54 PM

I see that we finally got the option of Canadian English, but I am wondering what the extra charge is? Is this for licensing fees? Will in the future these languages be included in the software?

Also, are there other dictionaries that I am missing from the Thunder7 days?

Can I use or is there a way to update my Thunder7 dictionaries to SpellCatcher?

I seem to remember Thunder7 had a way to import text files to create your own dictionaries. Was this true? Is there a way to do it in SpellCatcher?

Thanks.

#5 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:10 PM

I see that we finally got the option of Canadian English, but I am wondering what the extra charge is?  Is this for licensing fees?  Will in the future these languages be included in the software?

Also, are there other dictionaries that I am missing from the Thunder7 days?

Can I use or is there a way to update my Thunder7 dictionaries to SpellCatcher?

I seem to remember Thunder7 had a way to import text files to create your own dictionaries.  Was this true?  Is there a way to do it in SpellCatcher?

Thanks.

Canadian English is a $10 extra. This is WAY cheaper than what our competition sells additional languages for (www.spellex.com).

You can use the Spell Catcher 8 converter to convert your Thunder 7 custom references to SC8 format, then SCX will import them directly.

You can indeed paste or drag and drop any text selection into a SCX (or SC8) learned words document window to add all the words in that selection. But the format of the actual files is no longer plain text.

And yes, you are missing a LOT of things from Thunder 7! Not so much so from Spell Catcher 8, but we changed linguistic supplier between T7 and SC8.

Take a look at our Spell Catcher X languages page.

#6 skippingrock

skippingrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:12 AM

And yes, you are missing a LOT of things from Thunder 7! Not so much so from Spell Catcher 8, but we changed linguistic supplier between T7 and SC8.

Yeah, I've been racking my brain and one dictionary that I know I really miss is the names dictionary. I am reminded by this when I have to teach SC how to spell things such as "Pamela" and "Valerie", etcetera (hmmm... curious, SC doesn't know how to spell etcetera... is etc. the only acceptable spelling of this word now?)

Can I convert the T7 name dictionary to SC8 ->X?

I am going to have to look through my floppies. I had a fire, so I don't even know if I have the converter program anymore. :(

Cheers and I fully understand the Canadian dictionary thing. I bought it and am very happy with it. We have to remember that by your grace you didn't charge anything for the transition from
C&G back to Rainmaker Inc. (by the way, have you checked out the other Rainmaker, here in Vancouver? www.rainmaker.com Funny that there are two of you in Canada.)

Andrew.

#7 skippingrock

skippingrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:26 AM

I am going to have to look through my floppies.  I had a fire, so I don't even know if I have the converter program anymore. :(

Yay! My SC8 floppies survived the fire.

Now to fine my T7 files...

Man... floppies. I don't know, but I think some are starting to go bad from age!

---- Edit, I just realized, these are not my SC8, these are SC 1.5.6... it may have been melted -----
Dang it. Are you able to post the conversion tool? Not much good unless you have this earlier version anyhow.

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

I am going to have to look through my floppies.  I had a fire, so I don't even know if I have the converter program anymore.   :(

Yay! My SC8 floppies survived the fire.

Now to fine my T7 files...

Man... floppies. I don't know, but I think some are starting to go bad from age!

---- Edit, I just realized, these are not my SC8, these are SC 1.5.6... it may have been melted -----
Dang it. Are you able to post the conversion tool? Not much good unless you have this earlier version anyhow.

If you just want to convert the learned words (supplemetary dictionary) and NOT a glossary file, it's trivial. These are basically plain text files, with a word on each line (the SC8 ones have a 2 line header).

You can just open them in any text editor, copy, then paste into a SCX learned words document window.

Presto!