Jump to content


Installer Wierdness

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 contrazz



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:23 PM

Earlier today, I re-installed Spell Catcher 8, with update to 8.1.2.
The problem I was solving eventually turned out to be caused by
a corrupted prefs file, so I guess I could've skipped the re-install...
live and learn.

The installer exhibited some surprising behavior, though. When it
asked me to choose the folder in which to install, I specified the
folder in which the problem version had resided - a folder named
Spell Catcher 8 v8.1.2, which resided in my Applications folder.
Then I installed the application. Fortunately, I checked the folder
to be certain that all was well... it wasn't. A few miscellaneous
files that had been in the specified folder were missing - including
a text file containing my serial number.

Fortunately, I found all those files... They were *in the Trash!*
A second look revealed that the installer hadn't installed in the
specified folder at all... it had *replaced* the specified folder
with a new one of the same name, and trashed the old one,
even though there were various non-Spell Catcher files there.
That seems not-so-good... I could easily have lost some very
important stuff. :blink: