5 replies to this topic

#1 PsiFi

PsiFi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:02 AM

Hello,

I've just started using Spell Catcher, and I've hit a snag.

I have added around 300 Learned Words. They show up in References but, when I run Spell Checker over these words in a document, it never recognizes any of them. By that, I mean, a dialog box pops up highlighting the words in red and offering various suggestions, as usual. I click on the Learn button and the system moves to the next questionable (Learned Word).

Any thoughts on what to do?

I am still using the free trial - I don't know if that makes a different regarding Learned Words.

For the record, I am operating a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS 10.4.11 and Spell Catcher X 10.3.2

Many thanks in advance.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hello,

I've just started using Spell Catcher, and I've hit a snag.

I have added around 300 Learned Words. They show up in References but, when I run Spell Checker over these words in a document, it never recognizes any of them. By that, I mean, a dialog box pops up highlighting the words in red and offering various suggestions, as usual. I click on the Learn button and the system moves to the next questionable (Learned Word).

Any thoughts on what to do?

I am still using the free trial - I don't know if that makes a different regarding Learned Words.

For the record, I am operating a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS 10.4.11 and Spell Catcher X 10.3.2

Many thanks in advance.

In trial mode, only the first 25 learned words or shorthands in a given file are used. It's a trial mode restriction, prominently displayed in the "Trial Mode" window that appears when you launch Spell Catcher or periodically as a "reminder".

Rest assured there are no limitations once you license the software.

#3 PsiFi

PsiFi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks, Evan.

I should have read the documentation more closely.

One last thing, if I purchase the lite licence, are there any restrictions on the Learned Words?

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, Evan.

I should have read the documentation more closely.

One last thing, if I purchase the lite licence, are there any restrictions on the Learned Words?

No. Differences between full and lite explained here.

#5 LeonO

LeonO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

A related problem:

Is there a way to get “learned words” to be recognized in the same text file that you are checking. That is -- if I select “learn word” the first time a word shows up as incorrect, it is still identified as wrong for every future instance in that file during that particular spell check.

I am using a full version 10.3.2 on Mac OS 10.4.11

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

A related problem:

Is there a way to get “learned words” to be recognized in the same text file that you are checking. That is -- if I select “learn word” the first time a word shows up as incorrect, it is still identified as wrong for every future instance in that file during that particular spell check.

I am using a full version 10.3.2 on Mac OS 10.4.11

Learning a word should work as you expect (takes effect immediately).

Tell me exactly how you are "Learning" the word (button click, menu item, some other way - there are at least 5 I can think of), what mode of spell checking you're doing this in (interactive, check selection, DirectCorrect, Mac OS X Spelling Panel...), the actual word itself.

In other words, steps to reproduce.