3 replies to this topic

#1 gordon_w

gordon_w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 06:45 PM

Evan,

First let me say that like many others, I've used Spell Catcher from the days when it was Thunder so I was most pleased when you released a version for OS X.

And it has worked extremely well for me - with one exception. I'm sure you must be aware of the problem, but all suggestions for lowercase selections are given with the first letter Capitalized.

This is admittedly little more than an annoyance, but it detracts from a product that has worked perfectly for me otherwise. Please tell me this will be corrected in the upcoming bug fix.

Thanks,
Gordon

P.S. BTW, John's (ahum) Windows version doesn't have this problem. :rolleyes:

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 01 September 2003 - 08:03 PM

Evan,

First let me say that like many others, I've used Spell Catcher from the days when it was Thunder so I was most pleased when you released a version for OS X.

And it has worked extremely well for me - with one exception. I'm sure you must be aware of the problem, but all suggestions for lowercase selections are given with the first letter Capitalized.

This is admittedly little more than an annoyance, but it detracts from a product that has worked perfectly for me otherwise. Please tell me this will be corrected in the upcoming bug fix.

Thanks,
Gordon

P.S. BTW, John's (ahum) Windows version doesn't have this problem.  :rolleyes:

This will work better in the next version. Check Selection currently assumes that every selection should begin a sentence. That's why there is a NEW command "Check Word" designed specifically for checking individual words or word pairs.

It's available from the Services Menu and the Dock Menu. It will be in the input method's menu in 10.1.

Use Check Word if all you're checking is a single word.

#3 gordon_w

gordon_w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:39 PM

This will work better in the next version. Check Selection currently assumes that every selection should begin a sentence. That's why there is a NEW command "Check Word" designed specifically for checking individual words or word pairs.

It's available from the Services Menu and the Dock Menu. It will be in the input method's menu in 10.1.

Hmm...guess I should read the manual, but I don't understand why Spell Catcher needs separate commands to avoid this problem rather than simply maintaining the case of each word being checked, regardless of number of words in the selection or its position in the sentence, which is how every other spell checker I'm familiar with works.

Unless one is writing extremely short sentences, only a small percentage of single word selections will ever be starting a sentence. Id say 1 out 10 to 30 on average, so youd be right far more often if you defaulted to all lowercase. This illustrates my experience with software that makes assumptions in that it usually makes the wrong one.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and information. I look forward to 10.1.

Gordon

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 02 September 2003 - 06:40 PM

Hmm...guess I should read the manual, but I don't understand why Spell Catcher needs separate commands to avoid this problem rather than simply maintaining the case of each word being checked, regardless of number of words in the selection or its position in the sentence, which is how every other spell checker I'm familiar with works.

Unless one is writing extremely short sentences, only a small percentage of single word selections will ever be starting a sentence. Id say 1 out 10 to 30 on average, so youd be right far more often if you defaulted to all lowercase. This illustrates my experience with software that makes assumptions in that it usually makes the wrong one.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and information. I look forward to 10.1.

Gordon

It doesn't need separate commands simply to avoid this problem - it has them because they serve different purposes.

It's a bug in Check Selection (well, a lack of a feature that I simply forgot to implement) for it to always assume the beginning of a sentence. This will be fixed. Not to worry.

I just wanted to point out the very lightweight way to check a single word or pair of words IF that was what you were doing.