4 replies to this topic

#1 dgkanter

dgkanter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

[MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.6 and Spell Catcher X v10.3.2]

An old issue, previously resolved, has resurfaced for me.

Back in 2004, with SCX v10.1, I had reported “In e-mails, I substitute two hyphens for the em dash character as all my addressees can't handle the em dash—and the writing style is not to leave spaces around the em dash. So, if I type ‘This is true--if you’, SCX reports ‘true--if’ as a misspelling….” That was subsequently resolved.

While that particular sequence I used as my example is still being handled without SCX reporting a spelling error, other combinations of correctly spelled words separated with a double hyphen cause the spelling-error alert. (If I use the em dash, there is no spelling-error alert.) In SCX Preferences, for the application where I don’t want the consecutive hyphens converted, the Interactive->Automatic option “Consecutive hyphens toggle between em dash, en dash and hyphen” is disabled.

As best as I can tell, the current problem is limited to where the word before the double hyphens is 3 characters or less—with the size of the word following the double hyphens having no bearing on the problem. (While I can't say for sure, I don't think those cases were a problem once the earlier fix had been made.) For example, “a--one", "at--one", and "ate--one" are reported as spelling errors; "rate--one" isn't. (Again, if I were to use the em dash instead of the hyphens in the first three cases, there's no spelling error reported by SCX.) For what it's worth, if I try this in Microsoft Word 2004 with the SCX consecutive-hyphen option disabled, but with Word's AutoCorrect option enabled to convert to the em dash, SCX reports the spelling error for the 3-character-or-less cases and then Word makes the conversion to the em dash.

Thanks, in advance, for advice on this matter—and, in any case, the continued support and improvement of SCX is much appreciated as, for me, it's a "must-have" enhancement to my Mac.

David

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

[MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.6 and Spell Catcher X v10.3.2]

An old issue, previously resolved, has resurfaced for me.

Back in 2004, with SCX v10.1, I had reported “In e-mails, I substitute two hyphens for the em dash character as all my addressees can't handle the em dash—and the writing style is not to leave spaces around the em dash. So, if I type ‘This is true--if you’, SCX reports ‘true--if’ as a misspelling….” That was subsequently resolved.

While that particular sequence I used as my example is still being handled without SCX reporting a spelling error, other combinations of correctly spelled words separated with a double hyphen cause the spelling-error alert. (If I use the em dash, there is no spelling-error alert.) In SCX Preferences, for the application where I don’t want the consecutive hyphens converted, the Interactive->Automatic option “Consecutive hyphens toggle between em dash, en dash and hyphen” is disabled.

As best as I can tell, the current problem is limited to where the word before the double hyphens is 3 characters or less—with the size of the word following the double hyphens having no bearing on the problem. (While I can't say for sure, I don't think those cases were a problem once the earlier fix had been made.) For example, “a--one", "at--one", and "ate--one" are reported as spelling errors; "rate--one" isn't. (Again, if I were to use the em dash instead of the hyphens in the first three cases, there's no spelling error reported by SCX.) For what it's worth, if I try this in Microsoft Word 2004 with the SCX consecutive-hyphen option disabled, but with Word's AutoCorrect option enabled to convert to the em dash, SCX reports the spelling error for the 3-character-or-less cases and then Word makes the conversion to the em dash.

Thanks, in advance, for advice on this matter—and, in any case, the continued support and improvement of SCX is much appreciated as, for me, it's a "must-have" enhancement to my Mac.

David

Yeah, weird - I can reproduce this with Spell Catcher X 10.3.2, but not with the 10.3.3 beta I'm working on. 10.3.3 is built with a new version of the Proximity Linguistic System, so it appears that the problem is related to PLS. Not exactly sure exactly what's going on, I should probably spend a little bit of time trying to figure it out - at least to make sure it's entirely PLS related, and doesn't involve my code as well.

Thanks for the report!

#3 dgkanter

dgkanter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, weird - I can reproduce this with Spell Catcher X 10.3.2, but not with the 10.3.3 beta I'm working on. . . .

Evan: Any quesstimate yet as to when you might be releasing 10.3.3? Unfortunately (in this case), as I'm a big user of the two-hyphen equivalent for the em dash in my e-mails, the currently generated "errors" are a significant nuisance for me so that I'd happily give any beta a try (whether posted publicly or provided privately).

David

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

Evan: Any quesstimate yet as to when you might be releasing 10.3.3? Unfortunately (in this case), as I'm a big user of the two-hyphen equivalent for the em dash in my e-mails, the currently generated "errors" are a significant nuisance for me so that I'd happily give any beta a try (whether posted publicly or provided privately).

David

No idea just yet. I can put you on the beta list - send an email to our feedback address if you're interested. Not sure when I will have the first beta ready for the testers - we decided to add a German localization to 10.3.3 (as well as numerous other things), and it's not quite done yet (and a whole lot of work for the localizer and myself). Can't call it beta unless it's feature-complete...

Shouldn’t be too long from now, maybe 1 or 2 weeks before I start sending builds to all my testers.

#5 dgkanter

dgkanter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:25 AM

…I can put you on the beta list - send an email to our feedback address if you're interested.

Yes, I am--and e-mail sent.

Thanks,

David