Photo

How to import TypeIt4Me abbreviation/expansion list?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spyyyyyke

spyyyyyke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Hi, all. I am returning to SpellCatcher after using TypeIt4Me for a number of years. I have over 500 of abbreviations in TypeIt4Me that I would like to import into Spell Catcher. How can I do this? (I donít even know where the TypeIt4Me abbreviation file is located -ó is it somewhere in Library > Application Support?) Using SpellCatcher 10.2.3 on my MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory running OS 10.5.5 / Leopard. Thank you for your help.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

Hi, all. I am returning to SpellCatcher after using TypeIt4Me for a number of years. I have over 500 of abbreviations in TypeIt4Me that I would like to import into Spell Catcher. How can I do this? (I donít even know where the TypeIt4Me abbreviation file is located -ó is it somewhere in Library > Application Support?) Using SpellCatcher 10.2.3 on my MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory running OS 10.5.5 / Leopard. Thank you for your help.

What version of TypeIt4Me do you have? Looks like the file format changed since I initially wrote the import code - not sure which version of TypeIt4Me the change was made, though.

In TypeIt4Me 4.x, you can find where a file resides on disk by hovering the mouse over a menu item in the Clippings File popup menu to see a tooltip. I'm not sure if that applies to older versions of TypeIt4Me, though. But Spell Catcher X can't import the format used by TypeIt4Me 4.x. You can probably use Spotlight to search for files with "TypeIt4Me" in the name as well.

If the TypeIt4Me file(s) you find can be imported, you can simply create a new Shorthand Glossary document (Spell Catcher app, File > New > Shorthand Glossary) and drag the file from the Finder onto the Shorthand Glossary document's window (don't click the [+] button first). You'll see the green-circle-with-plus cursor if Spell Catcher recognizes it. As well, it appears that the new format TypeIt4Me files have the extension ".typeit4me".

Anyway, looks like I need to write some code to handle importing of these new files - not at all difficult (in fact, easier than importing the old format). If it turns out that file you want to import is this newer format, feel free to email it to our feedback address (Spell Catcher application, Help > Send Feedback by E-Mail) with a short reminder note that you're following up on this post. I'll import it for you and send it back.

#3 spyyyyyke

spyyyyyke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

What version of TypeIt4Me do you have? Looks like the file format changed since I initially wrote the import code - not sure which version of TypeIt4Me the change was made, though.

First, thank you for your response. Second, can you please tell me how to change my notification subscription for this topic from Weekly to Daily or "As Posted"? I inadvertently clicked Weekly but wanted notifications as soon as there was a post. Tried to change it but I just keep getting an error message that I've already subscribed.

Now to the topic: I have version 4.1b2. I think I remember the developer mentioning a change, but that was over one year ago. I'm not a tech person so I didn't really tune in to what he said.

In TypeIt4Me 4.x, you can find where a file resides on disk by hovering the mouse over a menu item in the Clippings File popup menu to see a tooltip.

I have no idea what you mean! If I open the TypeIt4Me Preference Panel, there are options for Clippings, Settings, Applications and Register. Clicking on Clippings, I see my list of Abbreviations and their expansions (or Clipping). If I hover the mouse over either an Abbreviation or a Clipping, I get a little yellow note that tells me the creation date, modification date, when it was last used and how often it has been used. I don't see anything that indicates where a file resides.

I'm not sure if that applies to older versions of TypeIt4Me, though. But Spell Catcher X can't import the format used by TypeIt4Me 4.x. You can probably use Spotlight to search for files with "TypeIt4Me" in the name as well.

If the TypeIt4Me file(s) you find can be imported, you can simply create a new Shorthand Glossary document (Spell Catcher app, File > New > Shorthand Glossary) and drag the file from the Finder onto the Shorthand Glossary document's window (don't click the [+] button first). You'll see the green-circle-with-plus cursor if Spell Catcher recognizes it. As well, it appears that the new format TypeIt4Me files have the extension ".typeit4me".

I will try this. As I said, I'm not a tech person so it will probably take some fussing around to figure out how to find then save or import the TypeIt4Me file.

Anyway, looks like I need to write some code to handle importing of these new files - not at all difficult (in fact, easier than importing the old format). If it turns out that file you want to import is this newer format, feel free to email it to our feedback address (Spell Catcher application, Help > Send Feedback by E-Mail) with a short reminder note that you're following up on this post. I'll import it for you and send it back.

Hmmm . . . I will have to delete all the confidential stuff in there that pertains to my clients and my eight jillion passwords. But that will be easier to retype than over 500 entries! I will try the method you described above, first.

Thank you again!

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:04 PM

First, thank you for your response. Second, can you please tell me how to change my notification subscription for this topic from Weekly to Daily or "As Posted"? I inadvertently clicked Weekly but wanted notifications as soon as there was a post. Tried to change it but I just keep getting an error message that I've already subscribed.

Click the "My Controls" link near the top of page, then under "Subscriptions" (on the left), click (I think) "View Topics", and using the popup menu select "Change to immediate...".

In TypeIt4Me 4.x, you can find where a file resides on disk by hovering the mouse over a menu item in the Clippings File popup menu to see a tooltip.

I have no idea what you mean! If I open the TypeIt4Me Preference Panel, there are options for Clippings, Settings, Applications and Register. Clicking on Clippings, I see my list of Abbreviations and their expansions (or Clipping). If I hover the mouse over either an Abbreviation or a Clipping, I get a little yellow note that tells me the creation date, modification date, when it was last used and how often it has been used. I don't see anything that indicates where a file resides.

Hover the mouse over the actual menu items. See the attached screenshot.
Attached File  Picture_2.png   27.27KB   9 downloads

Hmmm . . . I will have to delete all the confidential stuff in there that pertains to my clients and my eight jillion passwords. But that will be easier to retype than over 500 entries! I will try the method you described above, first.

Your choice. I have the code written, it will be in the next maintenance update. I have no release date set (or even planned) - you can always wait for it, or I could put you on the beta test list when I have a build to send to my testers.

#5 oconnor4d

oconnor4d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Click the "My Controls" link near the top of page, then under "Subscriptions" (on the left), click (I think) "View Topics", and using the popup menu select "Change to immediate...".

Hover the mouse over the actual menu items. See the attached screenshot.
Attached File  Picture_2.png   27.27KB   9 downloads

Your choice. I have the code written, it will be in the next maintenance update. I have no release date set (or even planned) - you can always wait for it, or I could put you on the beta test list when I have a build to send to my testers.

I just purchased spell catcher. The help file says it is possible to import the typeit4me data file. Your drag suggestion above doesn't work, nor does the import file option. Am I missing something?

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

I just purchased spell catcher. The help file says it is possible to import the typeit4me data file. Your drag suggestion above doesn't work, nor does the import file option. Am I missing something?

Like it says in the first couple of posts, the format of TypeIt4Me files changed since I wrote the import code.

I've updated it for the next maintenance update to Spell Catcher X (no ship date set).

Meanwhile, if you want to email the file to us we can covert it for you. Use the command to send us feedback via email in the Spell Catcher application (Help > Send Feedback by E-Mail), attach your T4Me file along with a note that you're following up on this forum post.

#7 whitedog

whitedog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

I've come late to this discussion but I have a suggestion and a comment. In the latest version of Spell Catcher X, v. 10.3.4, in the supporting documentation it says that TypeIt4Me abbreviations can be added to Spell Catcher, but nowhere does it say how to do it. Since this is listed as a new feature, it would seem appropriate to tell us how it works.

The TypeIt4Me "TypeIt4Me abbreviations.typeit4me" file can be found in the User/Documents folder. That said, the procedure outlined here - dragging that file into a new Spell Catcher Shorthand Glossary window - works just fine. I have been using the latest version of TypeIt4Me, v. 4.2. Still, it seems to me I shouldn't have to scour this forum for a solution that has been announced as a new feature of the latest version of Spell Catcher X. And, to judge by the comments on this forum, the procedure is not, in fact, new.