1 reply to this topic

#1 wddcpa1

wddcpa1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

John,
With greater concern by companies regarding installing new software on their computer systems, I'm wondering if Spell Catcher Plus can run entirely from a flashdrive. It would be convenient and, therefore, be very easy to run Spell Catcher Plus without installing it on another person's or company's computer.

I realize that someone might still be uncomfortable with this arrangement but I would think that the risk of passing-on a virus would be low. Is this assumption incorrect?

Bill

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hi Bill,

Certainly running Spell Catcher from a USB Flash Drive is very worthwhile. A school made this inquiry a few years ago since they wanted their students to be able to plug in memory sticks into any computer to have their computing environment and documents travel with them into various classes.

At that time I created a U3 installer for Spell Catcher that worked fine - allowing Spell Catcher to run from a USB memory stick... only that installer is now out of date. It was just a proof of concept test.

I'm not sure if USB memory sticks are going to ease corporate concerns regarding viruses, but they certainly help with regard to portability issues in environments that can use this. Student use in schools certainly come to mind...

Thanks for your suggestion,
John Tytler
Rainmaker Research, Inc.