• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rahall

rahall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

I have reinstalled my licensed Spell Catcher v 10.3.2 on Mac OS 10.4.11 and each time I boot my system the following Error Message comes up.

“One or more of Spell Catcher’s Reference Files could not be found. They may have been moved to another folder, renamed, removed or restore from a backup.

Please use Spell Catcher’s Reference Files Preferences to relocate or remove the Reference Files that have a Question mark next to their name.”

When I open Preferences/References The 15 English Language references listed have no question marks and no other indication that some are missing.

Please tell me how to correct this situation.

Thanks

Bob Hall, rahall@ptd.net

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have reinstalled my licensed Spell Catcher v 10.3.2 on Mac OS 10.4.11 and each time I boot my system the following Error Message comes up.

“One or more of Spell Catcher’s Reference Files could not be found. They may have been moved to another folder, renamed, removed or restore from a backup.

Please use Spell Catcher’s Reference Files Preferences to relocate or remove the Reference Files that have a Question mark next to their name.”

When I open Preferences/References The 15 English Language references listed have no question marks and no other indication that some are missing.

Please tell me how to correct this situation.

Thanks

Bob Hall, rahall@ptd.net

This fixable by trashing your Spell Catcher prefs files, BUT first I'd appreciate it if you could help me figure out why this is happening. It definitely shouldn't, at least under normal circumstances. In fact, I added code in Spell Catcher X 10.3 to help with this sort of thing - the "hunt" for References is less ambitious than it was in 10.2.x.

So either I've got a bug to fix, or you've got a damaged prefs file, or some other strange thing is going on.

A couple of questions and a request:

1. Is US English the only language listed in Preferences, Reference pane? If not, did you to disclose all languages to see if any had a question mark icon?
2. Is the list of references what you expect it to be? Are there any "duplicates"? If so, hover the mouse over a reference in the list to see its path on disk. Do any share the same exact path?
3. Do all the editable ones (learned words, shorthands, omitted words, compiled learned words) open if you double-click them (or select and click the "Edit..." button)? Or does "Show in Finder" fail for any of these?

Request:
4 Take a screenshot of your Reference prefs with all languages disclosed so the entire list is visible. If the scroll bar shows even after zooming the window, just page down and take another - I need to see all of them.
5. In the Finder, navigate to your home Library/Preferences folder, select all the files beginning with "com.rainmaker", make an archive of them.
6. Email the screenshot(s) and the zip file to our feedback address. In the Spell Catcher application, choose Help > Send Feedback by E-Mail.

NOW, you should be able to remedy the problem by trashing your Spell Catcher prefs - in other words, the files you archived in step 5 above. Quit the Spell Catcher application first, then move them to the Trash (don't empty it yet). Fire up the Spell Catcher application (double click it in the Finder to open it directly, rather than indirectly by selecting Spell Catcher from the Input menu), see if everything's OK.

IF you have prefs that you don't want to lose, I can tell you how to remove just the one item that keeps track of your references, and keep all the rest. You'll need an app that can open/save binary .plist files, like PropertyListEditor, or BBEdit - there are a number of them out there. Let me know if you want detailed instructions, it's really pretty simple to do.