• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 06:20 PM

I cannot find how to change the separator keys...the upper choices on the number keys seems to be all I can use. How do I make the apostrophe key ' into a separator so I can use the possessive on a glossary expansion without having to backspace and add an "s"?

For example: my glossary shorthand is sm and it expands to Smith
I want to type in sm's and get Smith's. All I have been able to do is get sm'<space> to expand to Smith' and then must backspace and add the s

Thanks.

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 07:20 PM

I cannot find how to change the separator keys...the upper choices on the number keys seems to be all I can use.  How do I make the apostrophe key ' into a separator so I can use the possessive on a glossary expansion without having to backspace and add an "s"?

For example: my glossary shorthand is sm and it expands to Smith
I want to type in sm's and get Smith's.  All I have been able to do is get sm'<space> to expand to Smith' and then must backspace and add the s

Thanks.

Hi,

Great question... there is no way to change the separating characters; however, you can achieve the effect you're looking for by indicating that you want to "Suppress Separator" on expansions like sm->Smith.

With the separator suppressed, the trailing space won't be put in the expansion, so you could freely add the apostrophe-S afterward.

You'll see a checkbox in the "Edit Shorthand Glossary" dialog.

Hope this helps,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

#3 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:11 AM

John--
Many thanks. It is a nice workaround. I had played with the problem some more and figured since ' was not a separator character it could be used in the shorthand to be expanded. That works, too, putting a shorthand key like sm's in to give Smith's. A bit more cumbersome than your solution, though.

It'd still be nice to be able to change separators. Why bother using &^%$#* since these aren't too common at the ends of words?

#4 wddcpa1

wddcpa1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 12:10 AM

Another way to accomplish what you want is to use a feature in the program that John Tytler added at my request. If you create a suffix for the letter "s" so that it contains a Backspace, then the letter "s" will work nicely.

To create the suffix, do the following:

The Entry should be: s

and, the Expansion should be: <BS>s

Using your example of Smith to achieve Smith's, type Smith' spacebar s

when you press an expansion key after the letter s it will backspace and add that letter to Smith' so that the result is Smith's

John's way works, however, the method described above allows this to be done without stretching for the Shift key. I learned years ago that the less that you reach for keys with the little finger the less the stress on the hands. Also, it has more uses than as a workaround for your situation.

This suffix has much greater use as a way to make words that are expanded into the plural form. For example, let's say that you type the Entry that expands into associate and type s and any expansion key, e.g., spacebar, and it will result in associates. There are other words that need the letter s added even though it is not to make the word into a plural form. For example, if you are trying to say "he explains himself well" just type the Entry for the word "explain" and then type the letter s and it will result in "explains"

I hope that helps.

Bill Deutchman

#5 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for mentioning that feature Bill.

I’ve just recently added a new feature to glossary expansions following a request from Vic O and thought I’d mention it here, since it pertains to this topic.

He wanted to create an expansion for “yorhm” to expand to “-year-old-right-handed-man”. The idea being he could type “68 yorhm” and get “68-year-old-right-handed-man”.

This didn’t work since an intervening space would appear after the “68” and before the expansion, resulting in “68 -year-old-right-handed-man”.

So, I modified the glossary dialog to create an extra checkbox. Now you can suppress either the separator before or after the expansion (or both).

Another addition to the next update which will be coming out for beta testing soon.

Thanks,
John Tytler - Author,Spell Catcher for Windows