• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jdewitt

jdewitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Evan, you gave me a workaround for this problem but it is cumbersome; I'm seeking a more stable solution.

When I start my iMac (Mac OS 10.5.8), Spell Catcher (10.3.2) doesn't work. In some applications, it's greyed out as an Input Menu option; in others, selecting it doesn't do anything; in still others, Spell Catcher will activate but then shortly deactivate itself, or activate in only one or two applications.

In your email, you showed me how to work around the problem by dragging the Spell Catcher component to the desktop, dragging it back to the Components folder, and restarting. That works. It also is pretty awkward. Is there a fix, or a fix in the works? Is there a simpler way?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Evan, you gave me a workaround for this problem but it is cumbersome; I'm seeking a more stable solution.

When I start my iMac (Mac OS 10.5.8), Spell Catcher (10.3.2) doesn't work. In some applications, it's greyed out as an Input Menu option; in others, selecting it doesn't do anything; in still others, Spell Catcher will activate but then shortly deactivate itself, or activate in only one or two applications.

In your email, you showed me how to work around the problem by dragging the Spell Catcher component to the desktop, dragging it back to the Components folder, and restarting. That works. It also is pretty awkward. Is there a fix, or a fix in the works? Is there a simpler way?

There's no fix - it's a bug in Leopard.

Once you get things working, they should stay that way, though.

Another thing to try is a forced-reinstall of the component. Quit the Spell Catcher app, then relaunch it and immediately hold down the control key until you see the "Update Component?" alert. Choose to update it, see if that helps.

#3 jdewitt

jdewitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

There's no fix - it's a bug in Leopard.

Once you get things working, they should stay that way, though.

Another thing to try is a forced-reinstall of the component. Quit the Spell Catcher app, then relaunch it and immediately hold down the control key until you see the "Update Component?" alert. Choose to update it, see if that helps.

I'll try it, Evan. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim DeWitt