3 replies to this topic

#1 Cortig

Cortig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hi All,

Snow Leopard now has a built-in language detection mechanism it uses for the system-provided spell-checking.
I would LOVE it if SCX could also use it to automatically switch to the appropriate language :-)

Corentin

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hi All,

Snow Leopard now has a built-in language detection mechanism it uses for the system-provided spell-checking.
I would LOVE it if SCX could also use it to automatically switch to the appropriate language :-)

Corentin

It will, when used with the system-wide speller. Not from the input method, is that what you're talking about?

(I have looked at the language detection, there are public APIs for determining the language of text. They work so-so, probably wrong as often as they are right)

#3 Cortig

Cortig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

It will, when used with the system-wide speller. Not from the input method, is that what you're talking about?

Indeed!
It makes sense that the system-wide speller would be able to use the proper SCX “dictionaries”/. I was also somewhat hoping that DirectCorrect and SCX itself could also make use of the language detection to also switch automatically.

(I have looked at the language detection, there are public APIs for determining the language of text. They work so-so, probably wrong as often as they are right)

Yeah, that’s what I feared :-\ I had hopes though… It would really be nice,
Thanks for the details Evan,

Corentin

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Indeed!
It makes sense that the system-wide speller would be able to use the proper SCX “dictionaries”/. I was also somewhat hoping that DirectCorrect and SCX itself could also make use of the language detection to also switch automatically.

Corentin

Well, maybe it's better on Snow Leopard. It wasn't very good on Leopard, I can't remember the exact problem, but it was of the show-stopper variety.

I'll give it another look when I get a chance.