6 replies to this topic

#1 Bud

Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

First time poster here.

The Learn function does not always work from Spell Checker 10.3.2 on Mac OX 10.5.8. This applies to all applications.

Specifically this happens while clicking on the Learn button in the Check Selection dialog box. The Learn button drop down is set to "my words," Why does it some times learn the words and other times doesn't? Did I toggle something to turn\ it off?

Also, is there a way that I can enter words that I frequently use into a file so I donít have to do so much training. I saw it somewhere but I forget where.

Thanks from a new user who likes the product and is thinking of a license.

Bud

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:28 AM

First time poster here.

The Learn function does not always work from Spell Checker 10.3.2 on Mac OX 10.5.8. This applies to all applications.

Specifically this happens while clicking on the Learn button in the Check Selection dialog box. The Learn button drop down is set to "my words," Why does it some times learn the words and other times doesn't? Did I toggle something to turn\ it off?

Also, is there a way that I can enter words that I frequently use into a file so I donít have to do so much training. I saw it somewhere but I forget where.

Thanks from a new user who likes the product and is thinking of a license.

Bud

Haven't heard of this one before. How are you making the determination that a word is not learned?

Try this: hold down the option key while clicking the Learn button. It should open the reference you added the word to and select it in the list. Tell me what happens.

Give me some concrete examples of words that fail to be learned.

As for entering words en masse, there are many ways to do it. The most basic one is to open the Learned Words reference you want to add to (one way is to choose Spell Catcher > Spelling References (in the Spell Catcher app, or from the Input menu or Dock menu), click the disclosure triangle for your language, and double-click the Learned Words document in the list. Remember, Spell Catcher references are standard Mac OS X document files in every way. Open using the File > Open or File > Open Recent command, double-clicking them in the Finder, using the Recent Items menu in the Apple menu. No different from any other app.

You can also paste text into a Learned Words document window - all the words will be extracted from the text and added. You can drag and drop text selections, or words in another Learned Words document window. Or use File > Import to import another Learned Words document. There are always many ways to accomplish things like this.

Remember that the vast majority of commands and GUI-related functionality is in the Spell Catcher application itself. They are available even if the input method is not active - or even if it's not installed.

#3 Bud

Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

This is great. Thanks so much for your reply and ideas that I have to try out.

It just might be that this user is doing something wrong.

I will definitely let you know what happens because I really want to make SC work for me. It seems like an awesome product.

Bud

#4 Bud

Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Ok I see where Option + Learn opens the "My Words" file and the words that I have Learned are there.

But take the nickname "Hanie" as an example.

When I see the list of memorized words it is there but then when go to use in a document SC still does not recognized it as a learned word.

And that's my problem.

Thanks again.

Bud

BTW - I am on the last day of my trial but I really need one more week. Is It possible to extend the trial?

#5 Bud

Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

Sorry for all my posts here but when I do this:

As for entering words en masse, there are many ways to do it. The most basic one is to open the Learned Words reference you want to add to (one way is to choose Spell Catcher > Spelling References (in the Spell Catcher app, or from the Input menu or Dock menu), click the disclosure triangle for your language, and double-click the Learned Words document in the list. Remember, Spell Catcher references are standard Mac OS X document files in every way. Open using the File > Open or File > Open Recent command, double-clicking them in the Finder, using the Recent Items menu in the Apple menu. No different from any other app.

The following references are in red:

HTML Terms
my words

among a few others.

The Use? Boxes are checked in all instances but those two items and one or two others do not have the pen icon with a line through it.

Does this make sense? Is that setting correct?

Thanks.

Bud

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Ok I see where Option + Learn opens the "My Words" file and the words that I have Learned are there.

But take the nickname "Hanie" as an example.

When I see the list of memorized words it is there but then when go to use in a document SC still does not recognized it as a learned word.

And that's my problem.

Thanks again.

Bud

BTW - I am on the last day of my trial but I really need one more week. Is It possible to extend the trial?

Aha! That's what you're seeing. In Trial Mode, only the first 25 Learned Words and Shorthands are available for use. You should see this in any of the "nag" windows/alerts. So buy a license, and you'll be all set.

#7 Bud

Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Aha! That's what you're seeing. In Trial Mode, only the first 25 Learned Words and Shorthands are available for use. You should see this in any of the "nag" windows/alerts. So buy a license, and you'll be all set.

Thanks Evan. That would make perfect sense.

Will purchase a license tonite. Glad to have this forum to ask questions as I learn more about how to use a very helpful app.

Bud