• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dinky dow

Dinky dow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

I am VERY unhappy with this program!!!!!! I spent $40. and 5 days trying to figure out how to get it to work and no matter what the suggestions are it still won't stay working. The only program I have gotten it to work with is mailplane. I don't know what I did to make that one specific program to work with spell checker but I wish I knew. I have read the quick start and all the faq's but no help. I found a question that covers my problem on the forum but instead of answering it you told the person to go to the FAQ's. I have a lot free programs that work a lot better than this beast!! If you can help me please do other wise I want a refund! Thank You. Wayne wck1943@dishmail.net

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

I am VERY unhappy with this program!!!!!! I spent $40. and 5 days trying to figure out how to get it to work and no matter what the suggestions are it still won't stay working. The only program I have gotten it to work with is mailplane. I don't know what I did to make that one specific program to work with spell checker but I wish I knew. I have read the quick start and all the faq's but no help. I found a question that covers my problem on the forum but instead of answering it you told the person to go to the FAQ's. I have a lot free programs that work a lot better than this beast!! If you can help me please do other wise I want a refund! Thank You. Wayne wck1943@dishmail.net

Basic questions first:

1. What version of Mac OS X?
2. What is indicating to you that the program "doesn't stay working"?

Have you read any of the documentation to understand how you would use Spell Catcher? I recommend the following:
- In the Spell Catcher application, choose Help > Spell Catcher Help, read the into, welcome and follow the Crash Course Tutorial.
- View our Video Tutorials.

The software most certainly works. But to help you I need more details regarding the *exact* problems you are having.

#3 Dinky dow

Dinky dow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

Basic questions first:

1. What version of Mac OS X?
2. What is indicating to you that the program "doesn't stay working"?

Have you read any of the documentation to understand how you would use Spell Catcher? I recommend the following:
- In the Spell Catcher application, choose Help > Spell Catcher Help, read the into, welcome and follow the Crash Course Tutorial.
- View our Video Tutorials.

The software most certainly works. But to help you I need more details regarding the *exact* problems you are having.

Thank you for trying to help! The version of OS is 10.06.1 P (Snow Leopard). Here is the major problem: The US flag icon is displayed on the top of my screen and the spell catcher icon with the red book yellow check mark and US flag on the bottom of my screen. If I am going to send an email with "Mailplane" I have to click the top US flag and then click spell catcher and it works. If I leave mailplane and come back to send another email at a later time I have to do the process again. When I use the Mac Mail when I click the upper US flag I can't get spell catcher to work. The items below the US flag IE: spell catcher does not highlite, what I mean is the word spell catcher is there but faintly and I can't click on it. The same is true for all other applications, IE: text edit. I assure you I have read all the info. I am just either stupid or a slow learner. Please help!

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:44 AM

Thank you for trying to help! The version of OS is 10.06.1 P (Snow Leopard). Here is the major problem: The US flag icon is displayed on the top of my screen and the spell catcher icon with the red book yellow check mark and US flag on the bottom of my screen. If I am going to send an email with "Mailplane" I have to click the top US flag and then click spell catcher and it works. If I leave mailplane and come back to send another email at a later time I have to do the process again. When I use the Mac Mail when I click the upper US flag I can't get spell catcher to work. The items below the US flag IE: spell catcher does not highlite, what I mean is the word spell catcher is there but faintly and I can't click on it. The same is true for all other applications, IE: text edit. I assure you I have read all the info. I am just either stupid or a slow learner. Please help!

For the time being, before we release a rewritten input method, you need to follow the simple steps in this FAQ to get up and running on Snow Leopard.

Read the various Snow Leopard-related posts in the forums for answers as well - there is a wealth of information.

#5 tbailey

tbailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

I assure you I have read all the info. I am just either stupid or a slow learner. Please help!

Dinky,
Just to assure you, the program does work with 10.6, and the quick start guide for SL does work. Many, many of us are using it without issue. In fact, as far as I can tell, you are currently the only individual on this forum that is having this problem. The solution that Evan offers has worked for ALL of us. This means it has something to do with your particular computer setup.

Be patient. Be careful to read the quick start guide slowly, and follow the instructions carefully.

It will (does) work. It's a great program, and you won't be sorry you bought it once you get it working.

Tom

#6 lumrymd

lumrymd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

I am having exactly the same problem as Dinky. Running OS 10.6.1 on an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 32bit Firmware. Spell Catcher 10.3.2. US Flag in input menu with Spell cather grayed out below. Will move to a yellow check when Spell Catcher app opened but switches back with other apps. Have seen Evan's post for setting up 64 bit machines which he states does not need to be done with 32 bit machines...good to go.... Am i missing something?

#7 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

I am having exactly the same problem as Dinky. Running OS 10.6.1 on an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 32bit Firmware. Spell Catcher 10.3.2. US Flag in input menu with Spell cather grayed out below. Will move to a yellow check when Spell Catcher app opened but switches back with other apps. Have seen Evan's post for setting up 64 bit machines which he states does not need to be done with 32 bit machines...good to go.... Am i missing something?

You have a 64-bit capable machine (Core 2 Duo). So you have to follow the steps in this FAQ.

I'm not sure where you got the term "32-bit firmware" from. Regardless, it has nothing to do with your Mac's 64-bit capabilities.

#8 lumrymd

lumrymd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

You have a 64-bit capable machine (Core 2 Duo). So you have to follow the steps in this FAQ.

I'm not sure where you got the term "32-bit firmware" from. Regardless, it has nothing to do with your Mac's 64-bit capabilities.

Thanks Evan. When i selected multiple apps to check the run in 32 bit the inspector or get info window showed multiple selections but no run in 32 bit mode check box. When i opened them up individually the check box was available.

I got the 32 firmware info from typing a command (that i think i found in your FAQ) into terminal and it returned something like 32bitEFI which i assumed meant 32 bit bus etc.

Thanks as always for your help and creating and maintaining a great program. :rolleyes:

#9 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Evan. When i selected multiple apps to check the run in 32 bit the inspector or get info window showed multiple selections but no run in 32 bit mode check box. When i opened them up individually the check box was available.

That means that one or more of the apps you selected aren't 64-bit, so won't show the "Open in 32-bit mode" option. Shouldn't be hard to find out which one(s) by selecting them individually.

I got the 32 firmware info from typing a command (that i think i found in your FAQ) into terminal and it returned something like 32bitEFI which i assumed meant 32 bit bus etc.

Thanks as always for your help and creating and maintaining a great program. :rolleyes:

Doubtful it would have been from our FAQs, as it's not relevant to whether your Mac is 64-bit capable.