• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmathes

rmathes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

sorry for being dense. i read the FAQ and thought i'd followed the instructions but i'm not seeing where one specifies that the selected applications open in 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode. is there a screenshot somewhere? i've been searching around, not seeing it. my apologies if i'm stepping right over it.

also, will i experience a performance degradation in Safari and Mail by changing this attribute?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

sorry for being dense. i read the FAQ and thought i'd followed the instructions but i'm not seeing where one specifies that the selected applications open in 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode. is there a screenshot somewhere? i've been searching around, not seeing it. my apologies if i'm stepping right over it.

also, will i experience a performance degradation in Safari and Mail by changing this attribute?

If you don't see the checkbox, it's either because:

- Your Mac isn't 64-bit capable.
- You have an application selected that isn't 64-bit capable.

Plenty of screenshots and info in this FAQ.

#3 rmathes

rmathes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

If you don't see the checkbox, it's either because:

- Your Mac isn't 64-bit capable.
- You have an application selected that isn't 64-bit capable.

Plenty of screenshots and info in this FAQ.

Thanks Evan. I figured out what the problem was, I was viewing the info pane in Pathfinder, not Finder. For some reason Pathfinder wasnít giving me that check box. Launched Finder and there it was. Had to download the new activator app to get everything to work, but now I seem to be OK. Thanks again. Hope this Snow Leopard transition isnít too big a headache for you guys, looking forward to seeing the rewritten app.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

Thanks Evan. I figured out what the problem was, I was viewing the info pane in Pathfinder, not Finder. For some reason Pathfinder wasnít giving me that check box. Launched Finder and there it was. Had to download the new activator app to get everything to work, but now I seem to be OK. Thanks again. Hope this Snow Leopard transition isnít too big a headache for you guys, looking forward to seeing the rewritten app.

Yeah, there's no public API that developers can use to set the "Open in 32-bit mode" (or "Open in Rosetta") flag. Maybe the PathFinder folks will find a safe/undocumented way eventually.

I discovered this when trying to find a way to programmatically do this for users (via the Activator or some sort of script).

The transition from Spell Catcher's input method component to an input method application has been (and continues to be, at least as far as DirectCorrect is concerned) a rather large headache. There are still some rather fundamental bugs and omissions in the InputMethodKit.framework APIs. But in the last couple of weeks, I have managed to find (ugly, but apparently safe) work-arounds for most of the critical ones - so I may not have to wait for Apple to address them in a software update.

There are many things that can be done in an input method component that cannot be done in an input method application. This will mean some functionality will be limited, or at least less desirable as far as behavior goes. Most of these are quite subtle, for instance Ghostwriter will require that "Enable access for assistive devices" be selected (Universal Access preferences) to create files with the document's name. There are others, so I had to make it possible to have both the input method component and the (new) input method application installed, available and usable (so folks can choose to use the component in 32-bit apps).

I'm still not certain if I will be able to get DirectCorrect to work in the new input method, as some of the APIs it uses are not available to input method applications - Apple simply "forgot" to include the equivalent functionality. Bugs have been filed, but this sort of thing (adding new APIs) often has to wait for the next major Mac OS X release (10.7). Still hard at work on it - but right now pretty much everything except DirectCorrect is working well...