4 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Kieffer

Bruce Kieffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

Evan,

I just upgraded to 10.6, and I did the stuff you say to do in the Spell Catcher X 10.3.2 on Snow Leopard Quick Start Guide. I seem to have SCX working in most apps, but not the finder. How do I get it working with the finder?

Thanks,
Bruce Kieffer

#2 dgkanter

dgkanter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

I just upgraded to 10.6, and I did the stuff you say to do in the Spell Catcher X 10.3.2 on Snow Leopard Quick Start Guide. I seem to have SCX working in most apps, but not the finder. How do I get it working with the finder?

Bruce,

You can't--based on the last advice I've seen from Evan ("looks like the OS is forcing the Finder to open in 64-bit mode (not sure how). Even if I edit the Finder's Info.plist and re-order the architecture priorities so that 32-bit i386 is first, it still launches in 64-bit."). So even if you enable the option to open in 32-bit mode in the Get Info for the Finder, the Snow Leopard Finder--at least through v10.6.1--still ends up running in 64-bit mode and, therefore, Spell Catcher X won't work in the Finder.

However, if you've installed the Spell Catcher Activator (as described in the Snow Leopard Quick Start Guide), you should find that when you switch from the Finder to an application running in 32-bit mode, Spell Catcher will be enabled in the Input Menu (i.e., you'll see the yellow checkmark).

David

#3 Bruce Kieffer

Bruce Kieffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Bruce,

You can't--based on the last advice I've seen from Evan ("looks like the OS is forcing the Finder to open in 64-bit mode (not sure how). Even if I edit the Finder's Info.plist and re-order the architecture priorities so that 32-bit i386 is first, it still launches in 64-bit."). So even if you enable the option to open in 32-bit mode in the Get Info for the Finder, the Snow Leopard Finder--at least through v10.6.1--still ends up running in 64-bit mode and, therefore, Spell Catcher X won't work in the Finder.

However, if you've installed the Spell Catcher Activator (as described in the Snow Leopard Quick Start Guide), you should find that when you switch from the Finder to an application running in 32-bit mode, Spell Catcher will be enabled in the Input Menu (i.e., you'll see the yellow checkmark).

David

That's how it's working... Evan, are you planning a 64bit version of SCX?

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

That's how it's working... Evan, are you planning a 64bit version of SCX?

Well underway. Still a few weeks off, though.

#5 Bruce Kieffer

Bruce Kieffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

Well underway. Still a few weeks off, though.

Good news! SCX is my best friend! (I spelled that freind, and it got fixed by SCX.)