• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vamp07

vamp07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

I have been using spell catcher for as long as I can remember. I always wanted to ask if there are any keyboard shortcuts for the different buttons when interactively checking the spelling of a selection. For example is there a keyboard shortcuts for buttons like delete, erase, Ignore All, Learn, refresh suggestions etc...

Thanks

Posted Image

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have been using spell catcher for as long as I can remember. I always wanted to ask if there are any keyboard shortcuts for the different buttons when interactively checking the spelling of a selection. For example is there a keyboard shortcuts for buttons like delete, erase, Ignore All, Learn, refresh suggestions etc...

Thanks

Posted Image

Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts for every single one of them. Problem is, there's simply no provision in the Mac OS X user interface to expose them.

And I probably don't have them written down anywhere…

Most are based on the button's title. If you give me a few days, I can probably make a list.

Very busy right now cleaning up after Apple's bugs in 10.6.2, and trying to get the new update for Spell Catcher X out the door.

#3 vamp07

vamp07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts for every single one of them. Problem is, there's simply no provision in the Mac OS X user interface to expose them.

And I probably don't have them written down anywhere…

Most are based on the button's title. If you give me a few days, I can probably make a list.

Very busy right now cleaning up after Apple's bugs in 10.6.2, and trying to get the new update for Spell Catcher X out the door.

It would be nice if those shortcuts were behind every button as tool tips.

Steven

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

It would be nice if those shortcuts were behind every button as tool tips.

Steven

Yeah, tempting to add code to the various standard Cocoa controls to have this happen in some sort of "automatic" way. But it would be far better if Apple did this, as it's such a basic and system-wide thing.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to this, higher-priority tasks keep getting in the way.

Most follow the command + first-letter-of-button pattern where possible (no conflicts), or command + option + first-letter.

#5 vamp07

vamp07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

Yeah, tempting to add code to the various standard Cocoa controls to have this happen in some sort of "automatic" way. But it would be far better if Apple did this, as it's such a basic and system-wide thing.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to this, higher-priority tasks keep getting in the way.

Most follow the command + first-letter-of-button pattern where possible (no conflicts), or command + option + first-letter.

Cool. It was Command-Option I had not tried. In either case I still cant figure out what the shorthand is for "Learn" or "Shorthand". I'll keep pushing for those tool tips. The reason is that for the most part Spell Catcher does not rely on using the mouse. It's only in that screen that many keyboard centric users probably have no option but reaching for the mouse.

Thanks

Steven

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Cool. It was Command-Option I had not tried. In either case I still cant figure out what the shorthand is for "Learn" or "Shorthand". I'll keep pushing for those tool tips. The reason is that for the most part Spell Catcher does not rely on using the mouse. It's only in that screen that many keyboard centric users probably have no option but reaching for the mouse.

Thanks

Steven

These don't follow the general rule because command-l (for Learn) is used by Look Up, and command-s (Shorthand) is reserved for File > Save.

So (drum roll) -

Learn: command-=
Shorthand: command-g