Jump to content


Photo

Primary dictionary permanently 'inactive'


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarara

Ngarara

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

I have both the UK and US English dictionaries. The UK dictionary is the primary one, and is always selected. I had a system freeze yesterday and had to force-reboot Windows. Now US English is the only available language, and when I look at the References, UK English, UK Medical & UK Legal are all marked '- inactive -'. I cannot activate them by clicking in the check-mark column on the left - the black check-mark cursor appears, but no amount of clicking will cause a check mark to appear. I've tried renaming the Settings.4SC file, to see if it was corrupt - no change. I tried reinstalling the UK language package, but it told me that it could not write the files. I realised that is because they are locked; I unlocked them and installed new copies, but still I can't get UK English active.

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

    Member

  • Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hi there,

It sounds like you've exhausted all possibilities except for uninstalling Spell Catcher and reinstalling. Be sure after the uninstall that you rename the "Program Files/Spell Catcher Plus" folder to something else (like "Old Spell Catcher"), so anything remaining in this folder doesn't affect the reinstallation.

After reinstalling, you should be able to drag the key file from your old folder to the new Spell Catcher folder (if you install in the same directory).

This operation shouldn't have any effect on any file you've modified, since these are usually stored in a different folder within your "My Documents" folder.

Hope all this helps... if you have more questions, please send them to our "support" e-mail address at rainmakerinc.com

Thanks,
John Tytler
Author - Spell Catcher Plus
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

#3 Ngarara

Ngarara

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

Thanks - uninstall/reinstall fixed it. The main dictionaries for UK English were still inactive, and I got a warning when I changed languages, but I was then able to make them active.