• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Ingraham

Paul Ingraham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

I’m struggling to understand some SC behaviour concerning reference files. This started when I decided that I wanted to clean up the files: they’ve become quite bloated over the years. There’s a lot of them in both the “References” folder and the “Additional References” folder. Several of them I didn’t really understand.

It has proved a strange experience to try to rid myself of some of them.

Specifically, a reference file like “Canadian English - My Learned Words” can be deleted and removed initially, but then inevitably returns in response to steps that remain mysterious to me. Three times now I have thought it was gone, quitting and relaunching and performing several actions with no re-appearance, only to have it cheerfully present in my references list the next morning. Huh?

Another curiosity is that sometimes the files that return do so in a locked state, and sometimes they do not. I think. Or perhaps it is certain files that return in a locked state, while others do not.

In any event, several of the “red” reference files seemed useless to me — like the “Canadian English Additional Words,” which always returns with the same 18 words — but obviously SC intends to keep them around whether I want them or not. Why and is there anything to be done about it? Or must I either choose between either using the default files, or having the clutter of two “learned words” files (mine plus the unused default)?

Cheers,
Paul

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

I’m struggling to understand some SC behaviour concerning reference files. This started when I decided that I wanted to clean up the files: they’ve become quite bloated over the years. There’s a lot of them in both the “References” folder and the “Additional References” folder. Several of them I didn’t really understand.

It has proved a strange experience to try to rid myself of some of them.

Specifically, a reference file like “Canadian English - My Learned Words” can be deleted and removed initially, but then inevitably returns in response to steps that remain mysterious to me. Three times now I have thought it was gone, quitting and relaunching and performing several actions with no re-appearance, only to have it cheerfully present in my references list the next morning. Huh?

Another curiosity is that sometimes the files that return do so in a locked state, and sometimes they do not. I think. Or perhaps it is certain files that return in a locked state, while others do not.

In any event, several of the “red” reference files seemed useless to me — like the “Canadian English Additional Words,” which always returns with the same 18 words — but obviously SC intends to keep them around whether I want them or not. Why and is there anything to be done about it? Or must I either choose between either using the default files, or having the clutter of two “learned words” files (mine plus the unused default)?

Cheers,
Paul

The easiest thing to do is deselect the “Use?” checkbox for these files. You’re right - deleting them will just cause these default Additional References to get re-installed. Alternatively, you could unlock the files in the Finder (Get Info), then delete the contents. Spell Catcher won’t re-install or overwrite an unlocked default Additional Reference.

There’s more to it than that, but the above are the easiest ways to deal with this off the top of my head.

And you shouldn’t get too obsessed over coalescing your reference documents. It is generally a good idea to have some sort of logical separation - but sure - easy to go overboard.

#3 Paul Ingraham

Paul Ingraham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

Spell Catcher won’t re-install or overwrite an unlocked default Additional Reference.

Actually, it seemed that’s exactly what it did. I made a point of unlocking all of them, precisely because I couldn’t get rid of them. But they all came back. For instance, as initially reporting, “Canadian English - My Learned Words” is unlocked, but faithfully returns after deletion (still unlocked).

And you shouldn’t get too obsessed over coalescing your reference documents. It is generally a good idea to have some sort of logical separation - but sure - easy to go overboard.

Hmm, I’m not sure trying to eliminate a little obvious clutter qualifies as “getting too obsessed.” ;-) I don’t need several of those references, and it would be nice to get them out of my face — they take up the top half of my list, and they’ve been doing it for more than ten years! It took a while, but it’s getting on my nerves.

I do see some point in logical separation of different types of references, but on the other hand it’s a bit of a moot point when the main dictionary is lumping in tens of thousands of every imaginable kind of word. I’m quite happy with a couple of my own categories. Why is it necessary to make the default files non-optional? Their contents seem completely pedestrian. Is it just legacy stuff, or is there some technical reason for locking/regenerating several of them?

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

Actually, it seemed that’s exactly what it did. I made a point of unlocking all of them, precisely because I couldn’t get rid of them. But they all came back. For instance, as initially reporting, “Canadian English - My Learned Words” is unlocked, but faithfully returns after deletion (still unlocked).

Hmm, I’m not sure trying to eliminate a little obvious clutter qualifies as “getting too obsessed.” ;-) I don’t need several of those references, and it would be nice to get them out of my face — they take up the top half of my list, and they’ve been doing it for more than ten years! It took a while, but it’s getting on my nerves.

I do see some point in logical separation of different types of references, but on the other hand it’s a bit of a moot point when the main dictionary is lumping in tens of thousands of every imaginable kind of word. I’m quite happy with a couple of my own categories. Why is it necessary to make the default files non-optional? Their contents seem completely pedestrian. Is it just legacy stuff, or is there some technical reason for locking/regenerating several of them?

Yeah, I should probably do something about this. Point taken, item added to my to-do list.

#5 Paul Ingraham

Paul Ingraham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, I should probably do something about this. Point taken, item added to my to-do list.

;-) I do think it’s a genuine UI issue. Certainly not a critical one, but a real one. Thanks for putting it on ye olde liste.