Photo

acronyms and proper nouns — a prefs or reference file issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Ingraham

Paul Ingraham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

I’m not sure if this a preferences or reference file issue.

I’m trying to understand the behaviour of acronyms and proper noun capitalization.

The most basic case seems easy: typing “ncaa” corrects to “NCAA” when the reference file “Canadian English Abbreviations” is being used, and when “Capitalize proper nouns and acronyms” is checked.

But several other cases puzzle me.

For instance, with my current settings, “mon” and “thu” and “fri” all autocorrect to capitalized weekday abbreviations, but “tue” and “wed” and “sat” do not (similarly, some months work and others don’t). This is just one example and I have others, but let’s take them one at a time. In this case, I surmise that the difference is that “Mon” exists only in my “Canadian English Abbreviations” file, whereas “Tue” also exists in another custom word list I have. This somehow suppresses the autocorrection of “tue” to “Tue”, but I don’t really understand the behaviour.

How does SC decide what are acronyms and proper nouns for autocorrection?

Paul

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

I’m not sure if this a preferences or reference file issue.

I’m trying to understand the behaviour of acronyms and proper noun capitalization.

The most basic case seems easy: typing “ncaa” corrects to “NCAA” when the reference file “Canadian English Abbreviations” is being used, and when “Capitalize proper nouns and acronyms” is checked.

But several other cases puzzle me.

For instance, with my current settings, “mon” and “thu” and “fri” all autocorrect to capitalized weekday abbreviations, but “tue” and “wed” and “sat” do not (similarly, some months work and others don’t). This is just one example and I have others, but let’s take them one at a time. In this case, I surmise that the difference is that “Mon” exists only in my “Canadian English Abbreviations” file, whereas “Tue” also exists in another custom word list I have. This somehow suppresses the autocorrection of “tue” to “Tue”, but I don’t really understand the behaviour.

How does SC decide what are acronyms and proper nouns for autocorrection?

Paul

Find in References can be your best friend to figure out this sort of thing. Show me the results of Find in References on “mon”, “Mon”, “tue” and “Tue”. That should show some difference and be a clue (or probably the answer).

If there are lowercase words in a references (like wed and sat), they are not considered as requiring capitalization, so won’t (and shouldn’t) be automatically capitalized.

#3 Paul Ingraham

Paul Ingraham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

If there are lowercase words in a references (like wed and sat), they are not considered as requiring capitalization, so won’t (and shouldn’t) be automatically capitalized.

So that’s really just a logical limitation I ran into there. SC can’t assume that wed should be capitalized, obviously.

Are acronyms determined simply by the existence of an all caps word in one of the references? If I put an all-caps acronym in my learn words, type it in lowercase, it seems to get autocorrected into an all-caps acronym — pretty cool. My guess is SC just safely assumes that any lowercase word that matches an all-caps entry in a reference should be treated as an acronym (if that pref is set). Have I got that right?

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

So that’s really just a logical limitation I ran into there. SC can’t assume that wed should be capitalized, obviously.

Are acronyms determined simply by the existence of an all caps word in one of the references? If I put an all-caps acronym in my learn words, type it in lowercase, it seems to get autocorrected into an all-caps acronym — pretty cool. My guess is SC just safely assumes that any lowercase word that matches an all-caps entry in a reference should be treated as an acronym (if that pref is set). Have I got that right?

Actually, the Proximity code/databases tell me when a word is an acronym, and that's what I use. Rules are pretty simple, based on capitalization and embedded periods (either/or/both). Use Find in References on "sos" for example. You'll see both "SOS" and "S.O.S." as the found word, depending on language.