• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Kieffer

Bruce Kieffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

I guess I'll be the first to ask! I did read the "What's New," and having two input methods is still not clear to me. Why do I need the one tilted "Spell Catcher Unicode?" BTW. Thanks much for the hard work on this update. It is very appreciated.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:23 AM

I guess I'll be the first to ask! I did read the "What's New," and having two input methods is still not clear to me. Why do I need the one tilted "Spell Catcher Unicode?" BTW. Thanks much for the hard work on this update. It is very appreciated.

Actually, there's nothing new about Spell Catcher having three different input modes. This was introduced in Spell Catcher X 10.3 (October 2008). Take a look at the input sources tab of Language & Text System Preferences:

Spell Catcher
Spell Catcher <- The standard, what everyone is used to, Roman script input mode
Spell Catcher Unicode <- Best if you use a Unicode keyboard, like U.S. Extended
Spell Catcher Cyrillic <- Required if you use a Cyrillic keyboard, like Russian

If you only ever use a keyboard layout that generates Roman script characters, all you probably need turned on is the Spell Catcher input mode.

There's more to all this, and behavior varies hugely between Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. On Snow Leopard, all keyboards are Unicode, and the concept of different scripts is pretty much phased out. I don't have time to get into the details, and in reality it's all about what Apple's doing, and not really specific to Spell Catcher.

#3 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:27 AM

Oh, and having two input methods in Spell Catcher X 10.3.3 is not at all related to the fact that Spell Catcher has three input modes. Both the input method component and input method application have the three same input modes. The input method component is still needed on 64-bit Snow Leopard because there might be some apps out there that work better with it. In general, vague terms, the input method component works better with old, input method-unaware apps like AppleWorks.

I have no list of which apps work better with which input method - but happy to compile one from user feedback.