• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Basilisk

Basilisk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

On 10.5, upgrading to 10.3.3, my existing license in /Library is not recognized. Refreshing my license works if I install for "Current User", trying to install to "All Users" fails with a error dialog about permissions on directories in my home folder. The license file in /Library exists and the file (and parent directories) are writable. Deleting the old license does not allow "All Users" installation. Moving the new license from my home folder to the shared location fails does not work (reverts to unlicensed).

This is a part of a more general issue, there are other accounts on this machine and I try to keep common program components in shared locations. Other than the license file SpellCatcher has never really completely handled shared components in /Library. You could force it to recognize a component in /Library if you moved it manually, but the service bundle is installed in the home folder even if it already exists in /Library.

For now I've opted for the home-folder-only config SpellCatcher clearly desires, but I'd prefer to have things in the shared location.

#2 GrottyBananas

GrottyBananas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

On 10.5, upgrading to 10.3.3, my existing license in /Library is not recognized. Refreshing my license works if I install for "Current User", trying to install to "All Users" fails with a error dialog about permissions on directories in my home folder. The license file in /Library exists and the file (and parent directories) are writable.

Not that this helps but, I have the same issue (10.6.2, SC upgraded to 10.3.3).

#3 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

Not that this helps but, I have the same issue (10.6.2, SC upgraded to 10.3.3).

Yeah, something's broken in 10.3.3. Not sure what yet, not sure if it's my bug or a Mac OS X bug. I'm looking at it as we speak.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, something's broken in 10.3.3. Not sure what yet, not sure if it's my bug or a Mac OS X bug. I'm looking at it as we speak.

Well, it's definitely a Mac OS bug - one that I reported quite some time ago. The table used by the Folder Manager to keep track of pre-defined (folders like Application Support, Fonts, Components…) and custom (the apps own, like Application Support/Spell Catcher, Spell Catcher/References…) folder descriptors holds only 128 items. It easily overflows after an app adds just a few of its own, and the Folder Manager unceremoniously nukes existing ones when this happens.

Spell Catcher uses a number of these to locate its folders regardless of domain (i.e. user's home, top-level /Library, networked Library folder) - enough to cause the table to overflow, requiring a work around for this Mac OS X bug. The work around I need is to re-add the folder descriptor for ScriptingAdditions after adding my own, as it gets dropped from the table, but is one that is truly needed.

Interestingly, this bug is manifesting itself in a way I haven't seen before - the Licenses folder in the user's (home) domain is located just fine, but the Folder Manager fails when asked for the one in the local (top-level /Library) domain.

So off to find yet another work around for this nasty Mac OS X bug...

#5 dianer

dianer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

So off to find yet another work around for this nasty Mac OS X bug...

Add me to the list for not being able to save for all users. I was able to save for single user.

I get the error that permissions are wrong on Application Support folder if that helps.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

Add me to the list for not being able to save for all users. I was able to save for single user.

I get the error that permissions are wrong on Application Support folder if that helps.

Nothing will help. It's actually a related, though different, Folder Manager bug than I thought it was (my previous post).

The weird thing is that it only affects the Licenses folder - other /Library/Application Support/Spell Catcher folders seem to be OK.

The basic code is unchanged since (probably) SCX version 10.2.x.

I seem to have figured out a reasonable way to deal with this Mac OS X bug, but it does need testing.

There's no user-level work around possible - at least none that I could find. It requires an update to the Spell Catcher app. I'm not sure what the plan will be at this point.

#7 drhankz

drhankz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Nothing will help. It's actually a related, though different, Folder Manager bug than I thought it was (my previous post).

The weird thing is that it only affects the Licenses folder - other /Library/Application Support/Spell Catcher folders seem to be OK.

The basic code is unchanged since (probably) SCX version 10.2.x.

I seem to have figured out a reasonable way to deal with this Mac OS X bug, but it does need testing.

There's no user-level work around possible - at least none that I could find. It requires an update to the Spell Catcher app. I'm not sure what the plan will be at this point.

We hope your fix works - It across the board.