• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nofoolinny

nofoolinny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

Just updated to Snow Leopard (10.6.2) from Tiger and updated SC to 10.3.3. SC works fine so far except for one behavior. when I type (and mean) "pb" SC changes it to bp; when I type (and mean) eb it changes it to be. I looked around and I assume this is a Shortcut but I'm not sure of the terminology. I tried deleting it as a shortcut from the References tab in Preferences but there were no Shortcuts there. neither pb nor eb show up in English Words to Correct. So, how do I stop SC from making this correction other than capitalizing them which is unacceptable extra typing work (I use those two terms often)? I have had SC learn both terms and they are in the My Learned Words list. I've tried highlighting the term and making a shortcut to the capital version but the correction occurs so quickly that I can't get to the "Check word" dialogue. I'm missing something but can't see what.

thanks

steve

EDITED: sorry, that was happening in TextEdit which was the Snow Leopard v. I tried same thing in Word and the changes didn't happen. Was a TextEdit issue, not a SC issue. Didn't know whether to delete this or edit and chose this just in case others might have similar problem. Turning off "correct spelling automatically" in TE fixed the issue. Now if I could just find out how to edit TE's dictionaries that would be great— the other corrections it does are pretty good.

Thanks and, again, sorry if this is forum spam or something.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

Just updated to Snow Leopard (10.6.2) from Tiger and updated SC to 10.3.3. SC works fine so far except for one behavior. when I type (and mean) "pb" SC changes it to bp; when I type (and mean) eb it changes it to be. I looked around and I assume this is a Shortcut but I'm not sure of the terminology. I tried deleting it as a shortcut from the References tab in Preferences but there were no Shortcuts there. neither pb nor eb show up in English Words to Correct. So, how do I stop SC from making this correction other than capitalizing them which is unacceptable extra typing work (I use those two terms often)? I have had SC learn both terms and they are in the My Learned Words list. I've tried highlighting the term and making a shortcut to the capital version but the correction occurs so quickly that I can't get to the "Check word" dialogue. I'm missing something but can't see what.

thanks

steve

If you do need to find out where a word exists in Spell Catcher, use the Find in References command (Input menu, Services menu, Dock menu, Spell Catcher app's Window menu).

Find in References can be your best friend when trying to figure out why Spell Catcher did or didn't do something you expected when a particular word was typed/checked/whatever.

In this case - maybe not so helpful, other than to (possibly) rule out whether Spell Catcher was involved.

#3 nofoolinny

nofoolinny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

If you do need to find out where a word exists in Spell Catcher, use the Find in References command (Input menu, Services menu, Dock menu, Spell Catcher app's Window menu).

Find in References can be your best friend when trying to figure out why Spell Catcher did or didn't do something you expected when a particular word was typed/checked/whatever.

In this case - maybe not so helpful, other than to (possibly) rule out whether Spell Catcher was involved.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Evan. Don't know if you noticed my EDIT to my original post. Problem was with TextEdit, not SC. Sorry I didn't trouble shoot that aspect before I wroteŚ I didn't know that Apple had changed TE's spell checker as it had. Didn't have that problem with the Tiger iteration of TE. Good to have the info about Find in References for future use. It found where I'd added the terms and nowhere else, as I had.

Spell Checker and your support of it are fabulous. It's an absolute necessity in my opinion.

Thanks again,

Steve