• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gulliverb

gulliverb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:24 AM

Running OS 9.2.2 on a Mac G4, and SpellCatcher 8.1.2 worked like a charm forever. Until recently, that is. Now when I select text and choose "Check Selection", it deletes all the selected text and just leaves a letter "c". I did a full test/fix/desktop rebuild on my hard drive, uninstalled and reinstalled SpellCatcher (including dumping the old prefs) and it still does it. I don't know of anything that was installed recently that might be causing this, but maybe there is some sort of conflict that I don't know about. Any help would be most welcome.

Tom

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:36 AM

Running OS 9.2.2 on a Mac G4, and SpellCatcher 8.1.2 worked like a charm forever. Until recently, that is. Now when I select text and choose "Check Selection", it deletes all the selected text and just leaves a letter "c". I did a full test/fix/desktop rebuild on my hard drive, uninstalled and reinstalled SpellCatcher (including dumping the old prefs) and it still does it. I don't know of anything that was installed recently that might be causing this, but maybe there is some sort of conflict that I don't know about. Any help would be most welcome.

Tom

Hmm, strange. When SC8 does a check selection, it posts a command-c to the application. For some reason, the command key modifier isn't being seen.

Since this used to work, something has changed - the task now is to find out what.

The first thing to do is Quit the SC8 application, find the Spell Catcher 8 preferences file inside System Folder:Preferences, and move it out onto the desktop (don't trash it in case this isn't the problem and you want to restore your preferences). I know you said you trashed your prefs, but if you did it while SC8 was open it may not have had any effect.

Other things that can affect modifier keys:

Your current keyboard layout (Keyboard Control Panel)
Extensions that monitor/change keystrokes on-the-fly - for example Keyboard Control Panel, Universal Access add-ons like sticky keys, QuicKeys, etc.

This isn't something that I've ever heard of before, so these are just guesses as well.

Does it happen in every application or just a specific one?

Also check for other keyboard-related things, like num lock or caps lock on (though it really shouldn't make a difference), a "stuck" key even...

Maybe take a close look at the modification date of any items in your System Folder (including Extensions, Preferences, Control Panels, Contextual Menu Items, Scripting Additions, etc.) and it will reveal what may have changed recently to cause this to happen.