2 replies to this topic

#1 kanaka808

kanaka808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

Aloha,

1. Does SC X allow for creating a custom language dictionary? (I want to create a custom Hawaiian language dictionary.)

2. If "No", can the subset of my "Learned Words" (as a subset of the default English dictionary) be set to be the ONLY words shown in the list for Check Selection? (That is, I don't want to see a long list of English words pop up along with my learned Hawaiian words -- too much extra clutter and unnecessary info).

Mahalo!

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

Aloha,

1. Does SC X allow for creating a custom language dictionary? (I want to create a custom Hawaiian language dictionary.)

No, the linguistic software we use relies on a couple of things:
  • An internal language number. Unfortunately, Hawaiian isn't one of their available languages, so there's no number for it.
  • A couple of proprietary files that define various phonetic and other linguistic properties of a language.
Without these things, as well as the (proprietary) tools they use to assemble their databases, there's no way to create your own language.

2. If "No", can the subset of my "Learned Words" (as a subset of the default English dictionary) be set to be the ONLY words shown in the list for Check Selection? (That is, I don't want to see a long list of English words pop up along with my learned Hawaiian words -- too much extra clutter and unnecessary info).

Mahalo!

Well, you can certainly create a Learned Words file with your Hawaiian word list (for over 2,000 words or so, we recommend Compiled Learned Words references, as they handle up to 80,000 words efficiently), but you have to assign a Spell Catcher language to it. If you plan on using Spell Catcher to check (real) U.S. English, it would be a hassle to change the "Use?" setting appropriately when you wanted to switch between using your Hawaiian word list and U.S. English ones.

That said, you could perhaps download/install our British English language (or whatever language we offer that is the most similar to Hawaiian from a linguistic standpoint - I have no idea which that would be or how to determine similarity), then assign that language to your word list. Then you would deselect the "Use?" checkbox for all of that language's Spellings references, and "Use" your word list. This will result in only your Hawaiian being used when checking spelling and generating suggestions. You will have some success, but hardly optimal or equivalent to that of a "real" Proximity language.

Feel free to give it a try and report back, though.

#3 kanaka808

kanaka808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

Evan, I really appreciate the prompt response.

Your response was terrific -- a great insight into language dictionary specs, and your workaround suggestion to select an alternative language to use with my Learned Words is great! I may not have more than 2,000 words in my learned words list, so I may not need to use Compiled Learned Words.

I will give it a try today, and report back.

Mahalo!

No, the linguistic software we use relies on a couple of things:

• An internal language number. Unfortunately, Hawaiian isn't one of their available languages, so there's no number for it.
  • A couple of proprietary files that define various phonetic and other linguistic properties of a language.
Without these things, as well as the (proprietary) tools they use to assemble their databases, there's no way to create your own language.

Well, you can certainly create a Learned Words file with your Hawaiian word list (for over 2,000 words or so, we recommend Compiled Learned Words references, as they handle up to 80,000 words efficiently), but you have to assign a Spell Catcher language to it. If you plan on using Spell Catcher to check (real) U.S. English, it would be a hassle to change the "Use?" setting appropriately when you wanted to switch between using your Hawaiian word list and U.S. English ones.

That said, you could perhaps download/install our British English language (or whatever language we offer that is the most similar to Hawaiian from a linguistic standpoint - I have no idea which that would be or how to determine similarity), then assign that language to your word list. Then you would deselect the "Use?" checkbox for all of that language's Spellings references, and "Use" your word list. This will result in only your Hawaiian being used when checking spelling and generating suggestions. You will have some success, but hardly optimal or equivalent to that of a "real" Proximity language.

Feel free to give it a try and report back, though.