No replies to this topic

#1 J.A. Coffeen

J.A. Coffeen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this group, but have used and depended on the program since it was called Thunder 7, and so my list of abbreviations has grown and evolved for years. Just recently, though, I've put it in a list that I can print out, and see and compare some features of it. Here are some conclusions from it about abbreviations.

Spell Catcher's abbreviations have several uses:

a. Their primary use is to save time by letting a few characters expand into a longer word or more, even paragraphs.

b. Especially for long words, numbers, and addresses, they avoid mis-keying.

c. They can supply information by using the abbreviations to look up things and then deleting them the time of day when you don't have a timepiece handy, your credit card number to give on the phone, or a list of anniversaries when you don't want to miss one.

d. They make typing easier and faster for those of us who didn't learn touch-typing.

Here are a few ways to make Spell Catcher's abbreviations easier and more useful:

1. They should be ones that are easy for you to remember.

2. Secondary to ease of memorizing, they should be brief, so you can type them quickly.

3. It's quicker and easier to hit a single letter more than once, than two or more different letters, so where reasonable they should include repeated letters.

4. Abbreviations aren't just for long words and exressions, but for words you use a lot, even though they are short. I use "hh" for "the", and "nh" for "and the". You'd be surprised how much time that saves and how many typos it avoids.

5. Capitals and apostrophes slow typing a bit, so abbreviations can
avoid them. In addition to "hh" for "the", I use "hhh" for "The". Also "ipod" for "iPod", and "dnt" for "don't".

6. Once you have an abbreviation for a word, you can base different forms of the word on that abbreviation. For instance, I abbreviate "photograph" as "fot". Then it's natural to add letters to get other forms of the word. Thus, including the base word:
fot photograph,
fotc photographic,
fotd photographed,
fotg photographing,
fots photographs,
foty photography.
Some or all of the "c, d, g, n, s, and y" ends fit many words, and only the abbreviation of the base word needs to memorized, the others come to mind naturally. The "n"? Oh that's for words ending in "tion" or similar.
With other words, you might have abbreviations like:
hzd hazard,
hzds hazards,
hzdss hazardous, etc.

7. Addresses, in font and size for addressing envelopes, can be in a set form. I use "dd" followed by one word, a first or last name of a person, or a brief term for a company. Other information about the person or organization, like e-mail address, phone number, etc., can have the same abbreviation, with a different character at the end, so it follows the other in an alphabetical list, and is easy to remember.

Jim Coffeen