• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BBB

BBB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Simple question: I own a MacBookPro, unibody. Installed Spell Catcher and get two menubar entries: 1) 64 bit Spell Catcher and 2) 64 bit Spell Catcher Unicode.

Now what exactly is the difference? I use my MBP for mail, typing (English or Dutch only), and browsing. Now should I use Unicode or the normal Spell Catcher? In what sense does the functionality differ?

It's not clear to a simple end-user like me. Please explain without cryptic technotalk. Just one question: which option to select?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

Simple question: I own a MacBookPro, unibody. Installed Spell Catcher and get two menubar entries: 1) 64 bit Spell Catcher and 2) 64 bit Spell Catcher Unicode.

Now what exactly is the difference? I use my MBP for mail, typing (English or Dutch only), and browsing. Now should I use Unicode or the normal Spell Catcher? In what sense does the functionality differ?

It's not clear to a simple end-user like me. Please explain without cryptic technotalk. Just one question: which option to select?

It's actually a bug that Spell Catcher Unicode is turned on by default. One that was fixed in Spell Catcher X 10.3.5.

If you aren't sure whether you should use it, then you probably don't need to. Turn Spell Catcher Unicode input mode off, leave Spell Catcher on.

And if you're on Snow Leopard, the truth is that it really doesn't matter a whole lot. There are differences, the main one being that Spell Catcher Unicode input mode doesn't work well with very old applications (like AppleWorks) or very poorly written text input support (like Eudora).