• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:14 AM

I downloaded the updater and attempted to install it but was told the installation failed due to:

error 11002;2 - 15

I downloaded again but got the same error message.

All apps were off and TechToolPro disabled when I downloaded.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
Kate

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:52 AM

I downloaded the updater and attempted to install it but was told the installation failed due to:

error 11002;2 - 15

I downloaded again but got the same error message.

All apps were off and TechToolPro disabled when I downloaded.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
Kate

No idea, really. Something must not be quite right with your current Spell Catcher 8 8.1.2 installation.

You can either:

1) Reinstall 8.1.2 and try applying the update again, or
2) Wait for a couple of days until I get the full 8.1.3 installer up on our site, then use our Lost Installers page to request to download it. Because the full installer doesn't update items (it replaces them outright) it's unlikely you'd have this kind of problem with it. The updater only stores the differences between files (so it's smaller) but if even one byte of a file to be updated is not what it expects then the update can fail.

#3 Charleswj

Charleswj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:54 AM

I too have tried to update 8.1.2. The update appears to work - all the files have correction version numbers etc. - but I get this error when I try to run SC 8.1.3 (after relaunching):

The application "Spell Catcher 8" couls not be opened because "InterfaceLib--FSResolveAliasFileWithMountFlags" could not be found.

This happens after two update attempts, the second was done with all extensions off. My machine is a G3-equipped 7500 running OS 9.0.4.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:10 PM

I too have tried to update 8.1.2.  The update appears to work - all the files have correction version numbers etc. - but I get this error when I try to run SC 8.1.3 (after relaunching):

The application "Spell Catcher 8" couls not be opened because "InterfaceLib--FSResolveAliasFileWithMountFlags" could not be found.

This happens after two update attempts, the second was done with all extensions off.  My machine is a G3-equipped 7500 running OS 9.0.4.

This sounds VERY strange. Spell Catcher 8 does not call that particular routine at all.

I'll be looking into this, something very odd is going on...

#5 rrchampion

rrchampion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 04:41 PM

:angry: Having same installation problem: error 11002;2 - 15

On Mac under OS 9.2.2. Retried several times with extensions off. Confirmed that SpellCather 8 extension was in the extensions folder.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:14 PM

On Mac under OS 9.2.2. Retried several times with extensions off. Confirmed that SpellCather 8 extension was in the extensions folder.

We're trying to figure out why. The fact that InstallerVISE error codes aren't documented any where makes it very difficult...

We ARE working on this. It is a BIG mystery. You have to hang in there for another day or so, or just re-install version 8.1.2 for now.

#7 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for your suggestions but, as I am not the only one experiencing this problem, I will wait for the installer.

I have been unable to use SpellCatcher8.1.2 for some weeks due to a conflict with Outlook Express and cannot resolve it so I am hoping 8.1.3 will.

kate

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for your suggestions but, as I am not the only one experiencing this problem, I will wait for the installer.

I have been unable to use SpellCatcher8.1.2  for some weeks due to a conflict with Outlook Express and cannot resolve it so I am hoping 8.1.3 will.

kate

Version 8.1.3 won't resolve the problem with Outlook Express.

Are you the one that posted a problem with OE where SC8 used to work but then it stopped?

Have you tried rebuilding the Outlook Express databases?

I have discovered why 8.1.3 won't run on pre-9.1 systems, and this is now fixed.

Why the updater fails sometimes is still a total mystery.

There should be a new 8.1.3 (maybe 8.1.3a or something, not sure) ready sometime soon.

But your Outlook Express problem is something completely and totally different. If Spell Catcher used to work, then you have to find out what's gotten corrupted or changed between when it did work and when it stopped. Since your Spell Catcher 8 installation did not change at all between when it worked with OE and when it stopped, then it's not an issue with Spell Catcher 8 UNLESS one of *its* files got damaged at some point.

#9 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 09:12 PM

If someone that's getting this error when trying to use the updater can stuff together their Spell Catcher 8 Extension and Spell Catcher 8 application and email it to our support address (support at rainmakerinc.com) that would be much appreciated.

It sounds to me like there may be two slightly different versions of 8.1.2 out there, perhaps a C&G left-over or some difference between the web install version and the regular installer. This would definitely cause the updater to fail. Since I wasn't directly in charge of what C&G put on the CD vs. their server for the web installer to download I can't say for sure whether this is the case.

One other possibility is that the copy of the Spell Catcher application that you're trying to update is the 68K version, copied (instead of re-installed) from some very old machine to your new one at some point in time.

The only way for me to find out is for someone having this "error 11002;2 - 15" problem (NOT the other one, where the update completes but the app doesn't launch on pre 9.1 systems) to send me their files.

#10 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:16 AM

Are you the one that posted a problem with OE where SC8 used to work but then it stopped?

Yes, that was me.

Not only did I do all the things you had previously suggested, several times, I also transferred all my I.E folders to a zip disk, removed I.E completely and installed a new download - v5.0.6 - and then got exactly the same problem of Outlook Express freezing when I used the apostrophe key when SpellCatcher8 was enabled; before I imported my folders from the zip disk. With SpellCatcher8 disabled Outlook Express is problem free.

Nothing I have tried, before or after, stops the freezes. When the 8.1.3 installer is available I was hoping to try again but, if you say it wont help then I am stuck.
Kate

#11 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:19 AM

Yes, that was me.

Not only did I do all the things you had previously suggested, several times, I also transferred all my I.E folders to a zip disk, removed I.E completely and installed a new download - v5.0.6 - and then got exactly the same problem of Outlook Express freezing when I used the apostrophe key when SpellCatcher8 was enabled; before I imported my folders from the zip disk. With SpellCatcher8 disabled Outlook Express is problem free.

Nothing I have tried, before or after, stops the freezes. When the 8.1.3 installer is available I was hoping to try again but, if you say it wont help then I am stuck.
Kate

I hope this post isn't posted x number of times; I lose the connection each time I enable the 'Add reply' button.

#12 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 07:41 PM

Yes, that was me.

Not only did I do all the things you had previously suggested, several times, I also transferred all my I.E folders to a zip disk, removed I.E completely and installed a new download - v5.0.6 - and then got exactly the same problem of Outlook Express freezing when I used the apostrophe key when SpellCatcher8 was enabled;  before I imported my folders from the zip disk. With SpellCatcher8 disabled Outlook Express is problem free.

Nothing I have tried, before or after, stops the freezes. When the  8.1.3 installer is available I was hoping to try again but, if you say it wont help then I am stuck.
Kate

I hope this post isn't posted x number of times; I lose the connection each time I  enable the 'Add reply' button.

I wasn't aware this only happened when you typed the apostrophe. Is this the case?

How about turning smart quotes off in Spell Catcher 8?

Have you tried trashing any/all preferences files related to OE and SC8?

Have you taken a look to see if you have any corrupt fonts? They can cause all sorts of odd behavior?

#13 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:55 PM

Yes, that was me.

Not only did I do all the things you had previously suggested, several times, I also transferred all my I.E folders to a zip disk, removed I.E completely and installed a new download - v5.0.6 - and then got exactly the same problem of Outlook Express freezing when I used the apostrophe key when SpellCatcher8 was enabled;  before I imported my folders from the zip disk. With SpellCatcher8 disabled Outlook Express is problem free.

Nothing I have tried, before or after, stops the freezes. When the  8.1.3 installer is available I was hoping to try again but, if you say it wont help then I am stuck.
Kate

I hope this post isn't posted x number of times; I lose the connection each time I enable the 'Add reply' button.

I wasn't aware this only happened when you typed the apostrophe. Is this the case?

Have you taken a look to see if you have any corrupt fonts? They can cause all sorts of odd behavior?

>>I wasn't aware this only happened when you typed the apostrophe. Is this the case?

Have you taken a look to see if you have any corrupt fonts? They can cause all sorts of odd behavior?<<

I understand and share your puzzlement and that of the excellent tech help person at Pica Software. The following is the full extent of my attempts to fix the problem, if you can think of anything else I can do I will be pleased to try it.

The problem started when I was writing an email in Outlook Express and used the apostrophe key. It took a while before I worked out it only happened when SpellCatcher8 was enabled. Nothing else triggers a freeze and / or crash.

I turned off smart quotes.

Removed and reinstalled fonts from the installation CD - I have no third party fonts.

My Outlook Express and SpellCatcher8 prefs were trashed so often it became part of my daily routine. I even trashed the old `Naughty Nine' prefs: Mac OS, File Exchange, Apple menu Options - now replaced by FinderPop -, TSM, Control Strip, Sound, Date and Time, ASLM, System.

I have also [ and sometimes several times ] :

Restarted with extensions off.
Increased memory size in both apps.
Zapped the PRAM and rebuilt the desktop
Turned off 32 - bit addressing
Moved the pref file from the System folder
Moved the font folder from the System folder - and then trashed the fonts and reinstalled.
Regularly run Disk First Aid/ Diskwarrior / TechToolPro.
Disconnected all SCSI devices/ checked all plugs, cables and connections.
Done a clean reinstall of System software.
Run SpringCleaning and removed all old aliases,files, docs, etc.
Reinstalled the OS from the original OS9 installation CD
Reinstalled OS 9.1 and all software from the original disks or from new down loads.
Removed all trace of my Epson SP700 printer and installed a Canon i450
Removed PalmDesktop and Palm Zire software - now replaced.
Changed my keyboard and mouse from Apple Pro to the originals and back again.

The only thing I am certain of it that, in spite of all of the above, if I enable SpellCatcher8 and use the apostrophe key while in Outlook Express I will get a freeze or crash that will reverberate through the computer and take me days to fix.

Like you I was convinced that if SpellCatcher8 had worked for two years it would do so again but I have had to give up the struggle - at least for now.
Apologies for the long post - I hope it might save you some thinking time.
kate

#14 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:17 AM

Ok, the fact that this only happens when you type the apostrophe is a HUGE clue.

Just to totally clarify: You use the phrase "when Spell Catcher is enabled". Does this mean that the Spell Catcher 8 application is running AND interactive checking is turned on? Or does the state of interactive checking NOT matter at all - i.e. it happens even if interactive is OFF but the SC8 application is running? Or does this mean that simply having the Spell Catcher 8 Extension load at startup (i.e. NOT in Extensions (Disabled)) - EVEN IF the SC8 application is NOT open - is enough to cause this to happen?

To cause this, do you simply have to open OE (when SC8 is active, according to the definition you provide me) and type an apostrophe? Or do you have to create a new message, type something first (or perform some other action), and then typing the apostrophe will crash?

Just a couple more questions:

Turned off 32 - bit addressing

1. Umm, what model of Mac do you have? I didn't think this was even possible on any modern machine. This probably isn't relevant, just curious, though.

2. What kind of keyboard do you use? Specifically, is it an Apple keyboard? What layout is it? You mention Pica - are you using something other than the U.S. model (i.e. is there an Australian keyboard)?
3. If you're not using a US keyboard, are you using the Keyboards control panel/Keyboard menu, and if so, what layout is chosen from the Keyboard menu?

4. Look VERY closely at Spell Catcher's keyboard shortcuts, both for Universal and for OE (if you have specific settings for OE). Do any of them include the apostrophe key?
5. Look very closely at any other Extensions or Control Panels you might use that have some sort of "hot key" behavior and see if any of those contain the apostrophe.
6. I assume you've tried this with nothing but Apple extensions and whatever minimal set of extensions that are required to use OE + the Spell Catcher 8 extension to eliminate the possibility of some sort of extension conflict?
7. I also assume (you didn't specifically state this) that you have performed both a regular and advanced rebuild of your OE databases?

8. Does this happen if you type shift-apostrophe (no idea if apostrophe is normally a shifted character for your keyboard layout, or if shift-apostrophe is a double quote like on US keyboards)?

9. Do you have any as-you-type features (Spelling, not sure if autocorrect or autoformat are available) turned on in OE?
10. Related to 9, do you have Office 2001 installed?
11. Also related, how are your OE Spelling preferences configured? What dictionaries are you using (language, any custom dictionaries)?

Well, that's a start. If the only action that can ever cause this crash is typing an apostrophe while in OE AND it happens 100% of the time, then it should be quite possible to figure out what's going on.

#15 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 08:24 PM

Thank you for your response.

> Ok, the fact that this only happens when you type the apostrophe is a HUGE
> clue.
>
> Just to totally clarify: You use the phrase "when Spell Catcher is enabled".
> Does this mean that the Spell Catcher 8 application is running AND interactive
> checking is turned on?

Yes.

Or does the state of interactive checking NOT matter at
> all - i.e. it happens even if interactive is OFF but the SC8 application is
> running?

Makes no difference.

Or does this mean that simply having the Spell Catcher 8 Extension
> load at startup (i.e. NOT in Extensions (Disabled)) - EVEN IF the SC8
> application is NOT open - is enough to cause this to happen?

If I turn off SpellCatcher8 extension I have no problems in Outlook Express with using the apostrophe.
>
> To cause this, do you simply have to open OE (when SC8 is active, according to
> the definition you provide me) and type an apostrophe? Or do you have to
> create a new message, type something first (or perform some other action), and
> then typing the apostrophe will crash?

I can open and use Outlook Express but if I use the apostrophe I get a freeze and, when I restart, a Bomb!
I have run Conflict Catcher 8 many times to see if there is a conflict but it never found one. that said I am not the best at using CC and may have missed something.
>
> Just a couple more questions:
>
>
>
> ------------ QUOTE ----------
> Turned off 32 - bit addressing
> -----------------------------
>
>
>
> 1. Umm, what model of Mac do you have? I didn't think this was even possible
> on any modern machine. This probably isn't relevant, just curious, though.

Sorry, I wrote my post on the run and used cut and paste to add that list. I have now deleted that step - as you say it has been a VERY long time. I have an iMac PowerPC G3
>
> 2. What kind of keyboard do you use? Specifically, is it an Apple keyboard?

I now use an ApplePro keyboard and mouse but swapped to the original Apple board and mouse that came with the computer.

> What layout is it? You mention Pica - are you using something other than the
> U.S. model (i.e. is there an Australian keyboard)?

Pica is the software company I bought SpellCatcher8 from. My keyboard is the regular model.

> 3. If you're not using a US keyboard, are you using the Keyboards control
> panel/Keyboard menu, and if so, what layout is chosen from the Keyboard menu?

> See above.

> 4. Look VERY closely at Spell Catcher's keyboard shortcuts, both for Universal
> and for OE (if you have specific settings for OE). Do any of them include the
> apostrophe key?

ˆNo.

> 5. Look very closely at any other Extensions or Control Panels you might use
> that have some sort of "hot key" behavior and see if any of those contain the
> apostrophe.

I use the function keys but with or without them being allocated makes no difference to the SpellCatcher8 / Outlook Express problem.

> 6. I assume you've tried this with nothing but Apple extensions and whatever
> minimal set of extensions that are required to use OE + the Spell Catcher 8
> extension to eliminate the possibility of some sort of extension conflict?

Yes I have - using Conflict catcher and then, in case CC was part of the problem, with the Apple Extension manager. The SpellCatcher8 / Outlook Express problem kicked in as soon as SC was enabled.

> 7. I also assume (you didn't specifically state this) that you have performed
> both a regular and advanced rebuild of your OE databases?

> Many times.

> 8. Does this happen if you type shift-apostrophe (no idea if apostrophe is
> normally a shifted character for your keyboard layout, or if shift-apostrophe
> is a double quote like on US keyboards)?

> Apostrophe is not a shifted character on the Applepro keyboard. I have tried every possible alternative to using the apostrophe - I found it to be impossible.

> 9. Do you have any as-you-type features (Spelling, not sure if autocorrect or
> autoformat are available) turned on in OE?

Only SpellCatcher8 - I use Grammarian 2 but only using ‘Check Selection.’

> 10. Related to 9, do you have Office 2001 installed?

No. I removed it when I realised the apostrophe problem also occurred in Entourage.

> 11. Also related, how are your OE Spelling preferences configured? What
> dictionaries are you using (language, any custom dictionaries)?

Reference files - UK and US English / Language is UK English / No custom dictionaries / Shortcuts: I use many scientific acronyms and reference numbers but I had the same problem with the apostrophe when I removed all of them before removing SpellCatcher8 and reinstalling from the installation CD. I then introduced them in batches of 10 and all was well - until I used the apostrophe.
>
> Well, that's a start. If the only action that can ever cause this crash is
> typing an apostrophe while in OE AND it happens 100% of the time, then it
> should be quite possible to figure out what's going on.

> I can only guess at how busy you must be at the moment and I really do appreciate your help with this. I will be away until the middle of next week and can wait until you have more time.
Kate

#16 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:09 PM

Sorry to beat these questions to death, but they are incredibly important factors and I'm not clear on your answers - they seem contradictory to me. So I'll ask this again in a more specific manner (hopefully):

If I turn off SpellCatcher8 extension I have no problems in Outlook Express with using the apostrophe.

This much I understand fully from your answer:

When the Spell Catcher 8 Extension is disabled (doesn't load at all) at startup, this problem doesn't happen - and can't possibly happen. Pretty much a given, since the SC8 application won't even launch if its Extension isn't loaded.

This, however, I need clarification of:

You use the phrase "when Spell Catcher is enabled".

> Does this mean that the Spell Catcher 8 application is running AND interactive
> checking is turned on?

Yes.

Or does the state of interactive checking NOT matter at
> all - i.e. it happens even if interactive is OFF but the SC8 application is
> running?

Makes no difference.

Or does this mean that simply having the Spell Catcher 8 Extension
> load at startup (i.e. NOT in Extensions (Disabled)) - EVEN IF the SC8
> application is NOT open - is enough to cause this to happen?

So I ask:

Given: The Spell Catcher 8 Extension is enabled and loads when you startup your Mac.
Probably understood: The Spell Catcher 8 application is running, but the crash happens whether interactive checking is on or off - makes no difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Question: If you Quit the SC8 application (by choosing Quit Spell Catcher from the checkmark menu or from the SC8 app's File menu) - i.e. the Extension is loaded BUT SC8's app is NOT running - does this happen? This is one of the crucial and very specific questions I need an answer to.

I can open and use Outlook Express but if I use the apostrophe I get a freeze and, when I restart, a Bomb!

Ok, by freeze I take it you mean that your entire Mac is completely hung - the mouse doesn't move, there is no "A System Error has occured" box with Force Quit and Restart buttons. Correct, yes or no?

This bomb on restart - how do you restart? If your Mac is frozen, there will not be a "System error has occured" box, therefore no Restart button to click. How then are you restarting? Using command-option-delete? When does the bomb occur then? During the startup phase, while the extensions are marching across the bottom of your screen as they load?

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting you on the above.

> 2. What kind of keyboard do you use? Specifically, is it an Apple keyboard?

I now use an ApplePro keyboard and mouse but swapped to the original Apple board and mouse that came with the computer.

> What layout is it? You mention Pica - are you using something other than the
> U.S. model (i.e. is there an Australian keyboard)?

Pica is the software company I bought SpellCatcher8 from. My keyboard is the regular model.

> 3. If you're not using a US keyboard, are you using the Keyboards control
> panel/Keyboard menu, and if so, what layout is chosen from the Keyboard menu?

> See above.

I think I need to re-phrase these questions as well. Do you live in Australia? Did you buy an Australian localized Mac if the answer is yes? Remember, the "regular model" you refer to differs based on where you bought your Mac (or who you bought it from). "Regular" to someone that bought their Mac in the UK is quite different from "regular" for someone that bought their Mac is the US! I'm guessing the same could well apply to a Mac bought in Australia - i.e. your keyboard may not be the same as a U.S. keyboard. I don't know for sure, maybe you can tell me.

That's why I ask about keyboard layout. There are separate keyboard layouts for US and Australia - see this for yourself in the Keyboard Control Panel. They do appear very similar, perhaps identical. But I ask the above because Apple defines separate US and Australian keyboard layouts.

One more question I forgot to ask - do you have Ghostwriter turned on?

#17 Kate

Kate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:42 AM

Problem solved!

Two days ago a colleague recommended I use SpringCleaning and offered to show me how to use it.

He did sweeps of all the options and removed thousands of orphan preference and aliases that had accumulated over time. The same for duplicated and damaged files. After 9 MB of space had been retrieved I thought to run SpellCatcher8 and Outlook Express together.

No problem with using the apostrophe key and no freezes over four hours of constant use.

I have no idea which item was causing my problem but Spring Cleaning removed it in minutes while hours of my time failed to find the offender. I regularly run Disk Warrior and TechToolPro, do not keep huge amounts of old files and folder, compact data bases, etc. but it was obviously not enough.

Thank you for your help and patience Evan, I am sorry I used up so much of your time.

kate