• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 disraeli_demon

disraeli_demon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

I've recently updated both my machines (2007 Mac Pro 2ghz and 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4ghz) to Snow Leopard 10.6.5. As soon as I completed the OS updated I ran updates on SpellCatcher (from 10.3.4 to 10.3.6 in both cases, I think).

SC generally works fine but with one annoying bug - in all applications on both machines, when I type in an unknown word with "Auto Show Suggestions" checked, the "Suggest Spelling" window comes up as normal but I can't edit the text in the "Use:" field (text is highlighted, but highlight is greyed out as if the window is not selected. Clicking on window allows text to be de-highlighted or re-highlighted using curser, but highlight remains grey and text itself cannot be edited).

Clicking on any of the suggested words and hitting Replace (or using the appropriate "cmd+number" shortcut) both work fine - the selected word is replaced in the document.

If, however, SC fails to find the replacement word I want, I'm stuck - I can only close the window and edit within the document.

Also: presumably due to previous problem, the "Shorthand" button is greyed out - if I want to add shorthands I have to open SpellCatcher, go to the references and manually add the text and expansion to the shorthand dictionary. Thought it's a pain, this works perfectly, and there is no problem using pre-existing shorthand expansions either.

I've been through the FAQs on this site and tried various permutations of SpellCatcher Input Method Component/Application, none of which made a difference.

To summarize:

Cannot enter text in "Suggest Spelling" window

Cannot add Shorthands via "Suggest Spelling" window

All other functions of "Suggest Spelling" window OK

Can add Shorthands by manually entering into Shorthand Dictionary

Can use pre-existing Shorthands

Problem occurs in all applications tried (Mail, Safari, TextEdit, Nisus Writer, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, PathFinder )

Problem occurs on two separate Macs, both running OS 10.6.5 and SpellCatcher 10.3.6

Screen cap of "Suggest Spelling" window with greyed-out highlight and text attached.
Attached File  Spellcatcher-problem.jpg   32.88KB   2 downloads

One further bit of info: I had this same problem for a while when I bought the MacBook Pro (Jan 2008). The version of SpellCatcher I was using then (10.3.2?) had the same problem on the MacBook Pro (running Leopard) but not my older Mac Pro (running Tiger). Eventually a version update solved the issue.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

I've recently updated both my machines (2007 Mac Pro 2ghz and 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4ghz) to Snow Leopard 10.6.5. As soon as I completed the OS updated I ran updates on SpellCatcher (from 10.3.4 to 10.3.6 in both cases, I think).

SC generally works fine but with one annoying bug - in all applications on both machines, when I type in an unknown word with "Auto Show Suggestions" checked, the "Suggest Spelling" window comes up as normal but I can't edit the text in the "Use:" field (text is highlighted, but highlight is greyed out as if the window is not selected. Clicking on window allows text to be de-highlighted or re-highlighted using curser, but highlight remains grey and text itself cannot be edited).

Clicking on any of the suggested words and hitting Replace (or using the appropriate "cmd+number" shortcut) both work fine - the selected word is replaced in the document.

If, however, SC fails to find the replacement word I want, I'm stuck - I can only close the window and edit within the document.

Also: presumably due to previous problem, the "Shorthand" button is greyed out - if I want to add shorthands I have to open SpellCatcher, go to the references and manually add the text and expansion to the shorthand dictionary. Thought it's a pain, this works perfectly, and there is no problem using pre-existing shorthand expansions either.

Click the title bar of the Suggest Spelling Window or choose Suggest Spelling from the menu again to activate it. Then you can type into the Use edittext.
This is necessary due to the various "tricks" required to get the Suggest Spelling Window to work at all.

#3 disraeli_demon

disraeli_demon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Click the title bar of the Suggest Spelling Window or choose Suggest Spelling from the menu again to activate it. Then you can type into the Use edittext.
This is necessary due to the various "tricks" required to get the Suggest Spelling Window to work at all.

That does the trick, thanks!