• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ppayne

ppayne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:23 AM

I script spell checking of my data from Filemaker Pro, since FMPRO (up through version 9 at least) apparently didn't update their spell checker since 1989, and the user dictionary "fills up" at around 5000 words (hilarious). I can spell check the clipboard contents then return to the FMPRO no problem, but I'd love a way to say "spell check without saying anything if there's nothing to suggest/change/fix." I could therefore have it automatically go through the records that have no changes, only stopping when there's one that might be a spelling issue.

I could theoretically do this currently in Applescript, if I could query the currently opened spell check window (which is checking a bit of text I sent it through the clipboard). I can't find any sample scripts however, to do an action if the number of waiting-to-be-checked words in the currently open spell check window is 0, or whatever. Can anyone help me with this?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

I script spell checking of my data from Filemaker Pro, since FMPRO (up through version 9 at least) apparently didn't update their spell checker since 1989, and the user dictionary "fills up" at around 5000 words (hilarious). I can spell check the clipboard contents then return to the FMPRO no problem, but I'd love a way to say "spell check without saying anything if there's nothing to suggest/change/fix." I could therefore have it automatically go through the records that have no changes, only stopping when there's one that might be a spelling issue.

I could theoretically do this currently in Applescript, if I could query the currently opened spell check window (which is checking a bit of text I sent it through the clipboard). I can't find any sample scripts however, to do an action if the number of waiting-to-be-checked words in the currently open spell check window is 0, or whatever. Can anyone help me with this?

I'll make a note to look at this. However, I don't think there's a way to get the result you want. Hopefully I can do something about it in the (major) upgrade I'm working on.

#3 ppayne

ppayne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

Okay, please add this functionality. Basically, script support for checking and how to return a result if there are no changes. Also please don't forget, in my own case I am using Japanese words like "moe moe" all the time, and I need a way to define them as something that should be ignored for normal duplicate checking, though I don't want to turn off duplicate checking off entirely.