3 replies to this topic

#1 braintoniq

braintoniq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Manufacturer of organic functional beverages out of Boulder, CO

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

When I'm typing away and I type a new word that isn't in the Spell Catcher dictionary, SC's window adroitly comes up, and gives me the open to hit Control-L so that I can add this new word to its dictionary.

However, if this new word I'm typing happens to be at the end of a sentence, followed by the obvious period, SC currently takes that period as part of the new word. When I hit Control-L then, SC adds the word along with the period. For example, if I have a new initialism of say CPSDA (stands a sports dietitian group) and it first appears at the end of a sentence, CS records it as "CPSDA." Next time I type out that initialism in the middle of a sentence—without that period following it—SC doesn't recognize it, and I have to Control-L it and add a second version. SC now has both "CPSDA." as well as just "CPSDA", which isn't really necessary.

That's probably way longer of an explanation that needed, but I hope the point is clear. Small issue, just mentioning it in case others have noticed it as well.

Love this program. Wouldn't Mac without it.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

When I'm typing away and I type a new word that isn't in the Spell Catcher dictionary, SC's window adroitly comes up, and gives me the open to hit Control-L so that I can add this new word to its dictionary.

However, if this new word I'm typing happens to be at the end of a sentence, followed by the obvious period, SC currently takes that period as part of the new word. When I hit Control-L then, SC adds the word along with the period. For example, if I have a new initialism of say CPSDA (stands a sports dietitian group) and it first appears at the end of a sentence, CS records it as "CPSDA." Next time I type out that initialism in the middle of a sentence—without that period following it—SC doesn't recognize it, and I have to Control-L it and add a second version. SC now has both "CPSDA." as well as just "CPSDA", which isn't really necessary.

That's probably way longer of an explanation that needed, but I hope the point is clear. Small issue, just mentioning it in case others have noticed it as well.

Love this program. Wouldn't Mac without it.

This is by design. See if this topic explains it for you.

#3 atkgd

atkgd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

Have you given serious thought to changing that behavior, or implementing a preference regarding it, since that topic was posted? A regular part of my SC routine, engaged in every couple or few months, is going through my dictionaries deleting corrections-with-trailing-periods that I've inadvertently added; I would definitely appreciate the option to have SC ignore trailing periods, as I never want to teach it abbreviations.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

Have you given serious thought to changing that behavior, or implementing a preference regarding it, since that topic was posted? A regular part of my SC routine, engaged in every couple or few months, is going through my dictionaries deleting corrections-with-trailing-periods that I've inadvertently added; I would definitely appreciate the option to have SC ignore trailing periods, as I never want to teach it abbreviations.

Idea noted.

I hesitate to implement this, however, as it's not the recommended way according to the folks that we license our linguistic software from. Not only that, well, yet another preference? Yikes.

You can easily do the sort of "clean up" you do now using Spell Catcher’s "Strip Characters" Modify Selection Service. Just open a Learned Words file, Edit > Select All, then choose Spell Catcher > Services > Strip Characters, and strip a single period from the end of each line.