• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pieter

pieter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Where are the settings for looking up words. All I getwhen looking up a selected word, is a single word definition from 'websters electronic dictionary'. I then am forced to use snow leopard's dictionary to get a decent definition. This can't be right. Where do I change the dictionary LookUp uses for meaning?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Where are the settings for looking up words. All I getwhen looking up a selected word, is a single word definition from 'websters electronic dictionary'. I then am forced to use snow leopard's dictionary to get a decent definition. This can't be right. Where do I change the dictionary LookUp uses for meaning?

Spell Catcher X comes with one Dictionary Definitions database for U.S. English. However, it comes with two U.S. English thesauri, which can also display (albeit more succinct) meanings and the like. Granted, the two serve different purposes, but may well be useful to you.

You may also want to look at using the Online Dictionary Server feature, there are servers with databases that include definitions. Try turning "on" the Default Dict Server that comes with Spell Catcher X. Double-click it in the Look Up window's reference list to view the available databases, experiment with them.

You can investigate other servers, create a new Dictionary Server document (File > New > Dictionary Server) and try some of the other servers in the list. You may want to refresh the list of servers to make sure it's up to date (click the little "refresh" icon next to the Host: combo box).

Oh, and make sure you read the Online Help (Spell Catcher application, Help > Spell Catcher Help).