• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsagall

rsagall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 03:35 PM

I am in the process of implementing OS X.I had OS 9.0.4 and upgraded to 9.1. When running classic I can't get Spell Catcher to work. I am going to upgrade to 9.2.

If I purchase Spell Catcher for system X 10.2 will these problems be solved? I can' t live without Spell Catcher.

Thanks,

Rich

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:09 PM

I am in the process of implementing OS X.I had OS 9.0.4 and upgraded to 9.1. When running classic I can't get Spell Catcher to work. I am going to upgrade to 9.2.

If I purchase Spell Catcher for system X 10.2 will these problems be solved? I can' t live without Spell Catcher.

Thanks,

Rich

Can you elaborate on your problems with Spell Catcher 8? It DOES work with Classic. I need more specific details about what you mean by "I can't get Spell Catcher to work".

Note that SC8 and SCX are totally separate and different products. SC8 is for use with your Classic apps, SCX is for your OS X native apps. There is no way to "bridge the great divide" with a single application - i.e. SCX is NOT an upgrade to SC8.

So the answer is probably no, SCX for OS X will only be useful in your native OS X apps, and won't help with Classic.

Still, Spell Catcher 8 DOES work in Classic. I need to know more about what is going on on your particular Mac.

#3 rsagall

rsagall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:20 PM

Spell Catcher just doesn't work. The check mark is yellow, but the interactive checking doesn't work. I open an application under Classic and type an abbreviation that the glossary will change for me and nothing happens. If I do the same thing when I boot up using 9.1 and not OS X, everything works fine.

If I buy Spell Catcher for OS X, can I import all my dictionaries, glossaries, etc?

Thanks,

Rich

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 03 October 2003 - 10:19 PM

Spell Catcher just doesn't work. The check mark is yellow, but the interactive checking doesn't work. I open an application under Classic and type an abbreviation that the glossary will change for me and nothing happens. If I do the same thing when I boot up using 9.1 and not OS X, everything works fine.

If I buy Spell Catcher for OS X, can I import all my dictionaries, glossaries, etc?

Thanks,

Rich

This is very strange - I definitely know that Spell Catcher 8 works in Classic. Have you tried trashing your Spell Catcher 8 Preferences file from your System Folder:Preferences folder?

Does this happen in every application you try when in Classic?

Is it only the glossary expansions that don't work, or spelling as well?

Have you updated your copy of SC8 to our 8.1.3 version (not that this should matter - 8.1.2 is fine on Classic as well)?

What version of Mac OS X are you using? If 10.2, I thought that the version of OS 9 would be 9.2.2 (necessarily).

Is there any chance you have the "Use preferences from home folder" checkbox checked in your OS X System Preferences, Classic pane, Advanced tab?

You can indeed import all your SC8 references into Spell Catcher X, but still, something odd is going on - you shouldn't be having this problem in Classic. Have you done all the usual Disk First Aid, Repair Permissions, etc. standard troubleshooting steps?