• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JunkoM

JunkoM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:53 AM

I use an Apple brand Japanese keyboard for my iMac. The keyboard has a key to change the input method from Japanese Kana to English, and another key, from English to Japanese Kana. Under Spell Catcher, both keys are recognized as "space," which is very annoying. Whenever the input method is changed, an unwanted space is added. Under the English input method, this problem does not occur. Is there a way to prevent this problem?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:58 AM

I use an Apple brand Japanese keyboard for my iMac. The keyboard has a key to change the input method from Japanese Kana to English, and another key, from English to Japanese Kana. Under Spell Catcher, both keys are recognized as "space," which is very annoying. Whenever the input method is changed, an unwanted space is added. Under the English input method, this problem does not occur. Is there a way to prevent this problem?

Exactly where is this extra space added? What are the character and key codes sent by this keyboard?

Is there any way to simulate this with a "regular" US keyboard?

Post screenshots if necessary.

Can you provide links to info about this keyboard?

#3 JunkoM

JunkoM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

Exactly where is this extra space added? What are the character and key codes sent by this keyboard?

Is there any way to simulate this with a "regular" US keyboard?

Post screenshots if necessary.

Can you provide links to info about this keyboard?

The extra space is added where the cursor is. I don't know the character and key codes sent by my keyboard.

I'm not sure this problem is simulated using a "regular" US keyboard, because I don't have one.

Link to this keyboard: http://store.apple.c...node=MTY1NDA1Mg

When you expand the keyboard image, you will see "英数" key on the left of the space key, and "かな" on the right. These are used to change the input method to English and Japanese. Under Spellcatcher, whenever I hit these keys input method is changed alright, but at the same time, an extra space is added.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:21 AM

The extra space is added where the cursor is. I don't know the character and key codes sent by my keyboard.

I'm not sure this problem is simulated using a "regular" US keyboard, because I don't have one.

Link to this keyboard: http://store.apple.c...node=MTY1NDA1Mg

When you expand the keyboard image, you will see "英数" key on the left of the space key, and "かな" on the right. These are used to change the input method to English and Japanese. Under Spellcatcher, whenever I hit these keys input method is changed alright, but at the same time, an extra space is added.

This is going to be a tough one to figure out given that I doubt I will be able to get my hands on one of these. Searching the internet doesn't come up with any results that have the low-level details I need.

Just a couple of questions:

Can you customize the way these keys behave at all in System Preferences, either in the Keyboard or Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard pane? In Language & Text System Preferences, Input Sources tab, what's assigned to the Input source shortcuts?

When you're using Spell Catcher (the active input source), what keyboard do you have set in the Input menu's Set Keyboard submenu? What language in the Set Language submenu? I guess you're using Spell Catcher to check in U.S. English. Do you need to do anything special to get the Roman (QWERTY) keys when using that keyboard? How does its behavior differ with respect to the current input source?

There is a (very) old utility that can monitor keystrokes and show the keycodes that are generated. I have no clue if it will work with that keyboard. And it crashes pretty often. If you're interested in trying it, I can tell you where to get itů

Without the actual keyboard in my own hands, I don't think there's anything I can do to diagnose this.