• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mon Monque

Mon Monque

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hi -- I just bought a new MacBook and am trying to install a new license for the new machine. All works well, except the License Manager does not give me the option of installing for all users of the machine, even though I have administrator privileges (the option is visible, but greyed out).

Is this a known problem? I suspect that when I migrated files over from the old machine, it was using a different account as administrator, and then when I cleaned up the accounts and made the current account the admin account, it didn't take everywhere. I've had one or two other programs have difficulty installing while I was logged in to the admin account.

So, maybe not a Spell Catcher issue, but I'm throwing it out there -- has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi -- I just bought a new MacBook and am trying to install a new license for the new machine. All works well, except the License Manager does not give me the option of installing for all users of the machine, even though I have administrator privileges (the option is visible, but greyed out).

Is this a known problem? I suspect that when I migrated files over from the old machine, it was using a different account as administrator, and then when I cleaned up the accounts and made the current account the admin account, it didn't take everywhere. I've had one or two other programs have difficulty installing while I was logged in to the admin account.

So, maybe not a Spell Catcher issue, but I'm throwing it out there -- has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it?

Thanks for the report - I see what the issue is. On Lion, Apple changed the permissions to be more restrictive for folders (/Library and a number of others) such that even administrators have to authenticate. Apparently this change is affecting other apps as well. I'll have to see what can be done as far as dealing with this in an update.

For now, you can fairly easily deal with this (in the Finder) by navigating to /Library/Application Support, and creating a new folder named "Spell Catcher", then inside it copy the "Licenses" folder from your (home) ~/Library/Application Support/Spell Catcher folder into it. You'll probably have to authenticate a couple or three times.

#3 ronlap

ronlap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

Move it or copy it? And once you put it into /Library/Application Support/Spell Catcher, you need to secure the Licenses folder so that your other accounts can read it. Non-trivial.

BTW, I had a handful of license files in my user license folder. Probably since I've had so many versions of SC. I cleared out all the old ones before copying it.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

Move it or copy it? And once you put it into /Library/Application Support/Spell Catcher, you need to secure the Licenses folder so that your other accounts can read it. Non-trivial.

Did you actually have to do this? By default the permissions for "Everyone" are read only, which should be adequate…