Photo

Can the order of words be changed in the typing completion popup menu?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dzlion

dzlion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

The typing completion feature would be useful to me if I could have more control over what words are displayed. It would be more intuitive if recently used words appeared first. Everytime I type 'com' I get 'CompuServe' as the first available choice. Is there a way to have more control over text completion?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:44 AM

The typing completion feature would be useful to me if I could have more control over what words are displayed. It would be more intuitive if recently used words appeared first. Everytime I type 'com' I get 'CompuServe' as the first available choice. Is there a way to have more control over text completion?

In Spell Catcher’s Preferences window, Interactive pane, Completion tab, you can change the order of the kind of completion items that are shown, as well as select whether to have them shown in response to the Complete command (in the Input menu), or whether they are shown automatically (Input menu, Auto-Show Completions).

As well, you can control whether the entries in a reference are shown as completions, via the Completions checkbox that's in the document (window) itself.

There's really no way to control the order of completions of a given type - Spell Catcher does not track frequency of use (as you ask about).

I am assuming that you are talking about using Spell Catcher’s Complete command - and assumptions can be evil. Tell me exactly what you're doing, along with the results you're getting, and why they're not suitable or otherwise what you want. I can give better advice if I know more…

#3 dzlion

dzlion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

In Spell Catcher’s Preferences window, Interactive pane, Completion tab, you can change the order of the kind of completion items that are shown, as well as select whether to have them shown in response to the Complete command (in the Input menu), or whether they are shown automatically (Input menu, Auto-Show Completions).

As well, you can control whether the entries in a reference are shown as completions, via the Completions checkbox that's in the document (window) itself.

There's really no way to control the order of completions of a given type - Spell Catcher does not track frequency of use (as you ask about).

I am assuming that you are talking about using Spell Catcher’s Complete command - and assumptions can be evil. Tell me exactly what you're doing, along with the results you're getting, and why they're not suitable or otherwise what you want. I can give better advice if I know more…

I'm attempting to use Spell Catcher X for general typing completion during typing of standard English for the purpose of saving keystrokes. I understand how to order the types of references from which completions are drawn. However, the results in the popup list are often not helpful in my purpose as their order does not reflect general usage frequency or my specific usage frequency. It is possible that I could craft a word list that would better serve my purpose. Is there a way that I can easily import my own word list to be used as a completion reference? I've currently set my 'learned words' to come before the dictionary, and that may be a solution, except that I will have to manually enter each word into the learned words for it to be effective.

The mechanics of the typing completion that you have implemented work very well for me, but to be truly useful would require some mechanism for sorting usage. Ideally, last used terms would have higher priority over others. And it would be spectacular to be able to define my own priorities. Perhaps you didn't have this usage in mind when developing the software, but it would serve a purpose. I use a program called Typing Assistant in MS Windows, that I like, and your software is close to providing the same functionality.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm attempting to use Spell Catcher X for general typing completion during typing of standard English for the purpose of saving keystrokes. I understand how to order the types of references from which completions are drawn. However, the results in the popup list are often not helpful in my purpose as their order does not reflect general usage frequency or my specific usage frequency. It is possible that I could craft a word list that would better serve my purpose. Is there a way that I can easily import my own word list to be used as a completion reference? I've currently set my 'learned words' to come before the dictionary, and that may be a solution, except that I will have to manually enter each word into the learned words for it to be effective.

The mechanics of the typing completion that you have implemented work very well for me, but to be truly useful would require some mechanism for sorting usage. Ideally, last used terms would have higher priority over others. And it would be spectacular to be able to define my own priorities. Perhaps you didn't have this usage in mind when developing the software, but it would serve a purpose. I use a program called Typing Assistant in MS Windows, that I like, and your software is close to providing the same functionality.

Gotcha, and I agree 100%. In fact, or Windows product (Spell Catcher Plus) has this feature - not only for words, but for multi-word phrases.

Just haven't had the time to implement something like it in Spell Catcher X. Request noted.

#5 dzlion

dzlion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Gotcha, and I agree 100%. In fact, or Windows product (Spell Catcher Plus) has this feature - not only for words, but for multi-word phrases.

Just haven't had the time to implement something like it in Spell Catcher X. Request noted.

Thanks for your response, Evan. I hope you can find time to implement the additional functionality. I look forward to being able to have really good typing completion on the Mac platform.