• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 garygladstone

garygladstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

I have two (related) issues using the Look Up (Thesaurus) pane.

(Spell Catcher V. 10.3.7) G3 iBook OSX 10.4.11

SC has been working perfectly on this iBook until yesterday.

When I highlight a word to find synonyms using the keyboard commands I've set (and been using for this operation for 5 years) I get an empty Look Up (WORD) window instead of the usual window showing the definitions and available synonyms. This only happens in WORD and not in any other apps.
(Note: I have four Macs, all with OSX 10.4.11 and all the others all work fine with this feature in WORD. The only difference is that this problem happens on the G3 iBook while all the others are G4 of G5 machines.)

I tried to re-create the keyboard shortcut for this operation to see if that would bring up the window with the synonyms loaded as usual, In recreating that command, the reentry of the old characters would not happen as in the past.

While entering the keyboard shortcut command that I have always used -( "Command" plus " = " ) an SC error message appears saying that "The shortcut "command C" is reserved by applications or the System. Please chooses a different shortcut.
Do you want to use it anyway?")

I am NOT entering the "c" with the command key but Spell Catcher sees the "=" that way. Naturally I don't want to have the command-C for anything but the system's "copy" command. I have tried other keyboards for the entry of this shortcut but they all are seen by Spell Catcher (apparently) as "command C ."

That key combination is in use on my three other Macs with no problem.

I'm ready to slide my head in the oven but I haven't paid my gas bill yet this month.

Many thanks for any help.

Attached Files

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

I have two (related) issues using the Look Up (Thesaurus) pane.

(Spell Catcher V. 10.3.7) G3 iBook OSX 10.4.11

SC has been working perfectly on this iBook until yesterday.

When I highlight a word to find synonyms using the keyboard commands I've set (and been using for this operation for 5 years) I get an empty Look Up (WORD) window instead of the usual window showing the definitions and available synonyms. This only happens in WORD and not in any other apps.
(Note: I have four Macs, all with OSX 10.4.11 and all the others all work fine with this feature in WORD. The only difference is that this problem happens on the G3 iBook while all the others are G4 of G5 machines.)

I tried to re-create the keyboard shortcut for this operation to see if that would bring up the window with the synonyms loaded as usual, In recreating that command, the reentry of the old characters would not happen as in the past.

While entering the keyboard shortcut command that I have always used -( "Command" plus " = " ) an SC error message appears saying that "The shortcut "command C" is reserved by applications or the System. Please chooses a different shortcut.
Do you want to use it anyway?")

I am NOT entering the "c" with the command key but Spell Catcher sees the "=" that way. Naturally I don't want to have the command-C for anything but the system's "copy" command. I have tried other keyboards for the entry of this shortcut but they all are seen by Spell Catcher (apparently) as "command C ."

That key combination is in use on my three other Macs with no problem.

I'm ready to slide my head in the oven but I haven't paid my gas bill yet this month.

Many thanks for any help.

What keyboard is selected in the Set Keyboard submenu in Spell Catcher’s Input menu (yellow checkmark)? Sounds like one you're not expecting. Use the Keyboard Viewer to see what the Mac OS thinks you're typing.

#3 garygladstone

garygladstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

What keyboard is selected in the Set Keyboard submenu in Spell Catcher’s Input menu (yellow checkmark)? Sounds like one you're not expecting. Use the Keyboard Viewer to see what the Mac OS thinks you're typing.

Thanks, Evan:
The iBook's keyboard is set for U.S in the Set Keyboard preference.
The Mac's Input menu also confirms U.S. (with a flag) for the Keyboard.

The Keyboard viewer shows that I am inputting a command key and the equal sign when in fact I am depressing those keys.

I'm stumped. All the settings you mention conform in all my Macs and still the G3 Laptop won't bring up the Look Up window. I did discover a 2-key combination for that laptop that brings up the SC Look Up window but without the selected text in it. Those keys are the Command and Option together.

That's a workaround but what's annoying is that it all worked two weeks ago.

Thanks for any more ideas you might have in your black hat.

---Gary