• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MarkW

MarkW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I've updates to SC 10.4.1. Spell Cather says "input method is installed, interactive features not availble." And prompts me to restart. I've restarted and shut down and still Spell Catcher does not appear in the input sources list.
Help please.

mark.business@verizon.net

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

This has happened to two other customers, and to me as well (on a Lion developer seed build).

I had to install a new Lion build at the time, which solved the problem. Somewhat drastic, I know, but the only real solution I know of.

For the customers with the problem, one of them never reported back on the solution they found. The other tried copying the input method component (Spell Catcher.component) and input method application (SpellCatcherIM.app) from their home ~/Library/Components and ~/Library/Input Methods folders to the equivalent locations in their top-level /Library folder. I don't recommend the latter, but it's less drastic than re-installing Lion.

The first thing to try is to force Spell Catcher to re-install its input methods - launch Spell Catcher from the Finder and immediately hold down the control key. Keep holding until you see the window to (re)Install the input methods, and see if that helps. It didn't help either customer or myself. I doubt it will work for you either, but an easy thing to try.

If no luck, try using Cocktail or an equivalent utility to clean your caches (all of them - system caches as well).

If still no luck, maybe try uninstalling Spell Catcher (use the Uninstall utility that's on the Spell Catcher X 10.4.1 installation disk, using the default settings so your Spell Catcher (data) files aren't touched. Then copy in a fresh Spell Catcher app, launch it, and let it install the input methods.

If still no luck, and you're willing to re-install Lion, you should probably do that.

(Obviously a Lion bug - however I don't know what the cause is, or how to reproduce it, so haven't filed a bug report with Apple)

#3 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Evan:

I had to reinstall Lion today and have the same problem. No SCX input methods. First time I've seen this in years of using SC.

Tried all of the above except reinstalling Lion (did that once today).

Any other solutions pop up since last December that I could try?

Thanks,
M.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Someone else had a permissions problem that prevented, well, many things from working properly (not just Spell Catcher’s input methods installed). All were based on permissions issues with files/folders in their home directory.

Can you first see if the input methods got installed at all (Spell Catcher app, Spell Catcher > About Spell Catcher, see what it says about the installed input methods and their version. Post a screen shot. If they seem to be installed, navigates to them in the Finder, take screen shots of the Get Info window with the permissions pane open.

#5 walloon

walloon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi Evan - I have the exact same issue. Have performed every fix above, reinstalled, etc. Here's screen shots of component etc.
Thanks, Alan

Attached Files

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Wow, many things looking wrong there - to start:

Get Info should say Component (Universal), not package (Universal).
Not sure why the Finder is showing that it should open with Spell Catcher - did you set that manually?
Not sure why the Finder is showing the "folder" for XiphQT (whatever that is) as a Shared Folder.

What does Get Info for the other component (XiphQT) show. What is it? Where did it come from?
Is it functional (perhaps some sort of QuickTime component)?

Permissions for Spell Catcher.component look wrong as well. Only you "user (Me)" should have read & write. admin should have read only, everyone read only or none. Not sure if this is meaningful in your case, though.

I don't have the answer - I just don't know what's up on your machine...

#7 walloon

walloon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

I reinstalled and still the component is called "package"
Finder, yes, I set that manually, but I just unset it. I was trying to figure how to get it running.
I don't know what XiphQT is but I deleted it.
Fixed permissions, as noted.

Can you send a compoent which (at least on your end) isn't labeled a package?

Anything else I can submit to help? I have no idea why this suddenly happened, it's been fine for ages.

thank you.

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Contact our feedback email address and I'll reply with a component you can copy manually. However, I have a feeling it's not going to help here - still worth a try.

#9 walloon

walloon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

With Lion Cache Cleaner, I rebuilt prebindings and it fixed the entire problem. It works better than ever now.

#10 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Walloon:

Thanks for the tip. I ran Onyx to clean just about everything and, Presto Puffo, SCX is again in the input sources and I have the services back.