11 replies to this topic

#1 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Attached File  SCX About.tiff   117.81KB   2 downloads

SCX worked fine on Lion until I had to reinstall Lion. SCX did not appear in my Applications menu after the install.

I reinstalled and ensured that the Input Managers were also installed as indicated in the screen shot.

However it does not appear as a choice in Input Methods. I followed the steps in the FAQ but no joy.

What now, Kemo Sabe?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

Spell Catcher X doesn't use/have/install any Input Managers. Input methods yes, but no Input Managers. These are two entirely different beasts (input methods vs. Input Managers).

As well, Spell Catcher X doesn't appear in your Applications "menu" when. It, after being installed, would (normally) appear in your Applications folder.

Everything looks fine in the screen shot of Spell Catcher’s About box you uploaded. What happens when you click the little right arrow next to each? It should show the input method in the Finder.

Also send a screenshot of where exactly you're looking for "a choice in input methods".

#3 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sorry, let me be more precise.

SpellCatdherIM (2011/12/09 22:15 3 mB) is in my Input Methods directory
Spell Cather.component ( 2011/12/09 2215 1.9 mB) is in my Component directory
Spell Catcher.app (2011/12/09 22:15 29 mB) is in my Applications Folder

I expect to find Spell Catcher as one of the input-source choices in System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources where it has always appeared. It's no longer there.

Hope this helps. I cannot upload a screenshot. The forum system says I've used up my 512 kB quota of uploads, even though I've only add the one file in the OP of this topic.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

I (think) I've increased the allowable post size. Can you see if you can upload now?

Otherwise, email the screenshot to our feedback address.

#5 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Here are the screen shots.

Attached Files

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

No ideas. Can you post screenshots of the Finder's Get Info window for both input methods? Make sure the ownership and permissions panes are visible.

#7 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Ah Ha:

Found the solution in the Compatibiity Issues forum: Mac OS Lion compatibility issues?

Hopefully you will find the cause and eliminate it.

Thanks for your help,
M.

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

Can you point me to the exact post with the solution that worked for you? That will help me to decide whether it's something that I can do anything about or not.

At the very least it will give me a pointer so I can tell other customers what to try.

#9 toolman1848

toolman1848

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I am having the same problem and I think it started with updating Lion to the current version, 10.7.3, but I am not certain of that. I have never had a problem accessing Spellcatcher functionality via the Keyboard Input menu in the upper right on the Menu bar. Now, it does not show up, no matter how many times I restart the computer.

In Preferences, under the Interactive tab, at the bottom of each sub-tab option, I have in red letters preceded by the yellow caution sign: "Spell Catcher's input method is installed, interactive features are not available." below that is the message that I have to restart before I can use Spell Catcher's input method.

Are there other known applications that conflict with Spell Catcher that may be causing this?

#10 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Unfortunately, there's no single sure-fire solution for this that I'm aware of. For others (and myself), reinstalling Lion did the trick. For others, using something like Onyx to clean your system caches worked. Not sure what worked exactly for the Mondozer poster above.

It remains a mystery, if you find a solution please let us know!

#11 toolman1848

toolman1848

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Well--no solutions as of yet!

#12 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

The only solution I've heard of is to use the Onyx utility to clean your System caches. That's worked for a number of folks.

Have you tried it? Since the cause is clearly an OS X bug, I don't think there's anything I can do on my end (in Spell Catcher itself).