• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rsagall

rsagall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I am running Spell Catcher 10.4.1 on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.3 and Excel 2011 version 14.1.4.

With Spell Catcher on all data entry, tabbing from cell to cell, and just about anything else is painfully slow. When I turn off Spell Catcher and have the flag showing then the speed returns to normal.

Any suggestions besides turning off Spell Catcher off?

Thanks,

Rich

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

I can't reproduce this with a new, untitled spreadsheet. Can you quantify how slow "painfully" is? Do you see anything suspicious output to the Console (system.log) when reproducing this?

I tested with all of Excel's "auto..." features turned on in its preferences, and with Spell Catcher’s Auto-Show Suggestions, Completions, Interactive checking and Ghostwriter all enabled/on.

How are your Excel preferences set? Does it happen with an empty, new untitled spreadsheet?

#3 rsagall

rsagall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Either new or existing spreadsheet. It makes no difference if I create the spreadsheet or use one someone else sent me.

Painfully slow means 5-10 seconds from when I type a number and hit tab until the cursor moves to the next cell.

Which preferences are you concerned about? Autocomplete is turned off.

I opened Excel and a new spreadsheet. I went to the A1 cell and hit 1, tab, 2, tab, 3, tab going up to 9, tab. Two entries were made in the console:

4/4/12 6:54:17.650 AM com.apple.SystemStarter: WARNING : error connecting to configuration database: [DataDirect][SequeLink JDBC Driver]Internal network error, session aborted due to session protocol data unit format error, connection closed.
4/4/12 6:55:21.713 AM com.apple.SystemStarter: WARNING : error connecting to configuration database: [DataDirect][SequeLink JDBC Driver]Internal network error, session aborted due to session protocol data unit format error, connection closed.

Thanks,

Rich

#4 rsagall

rsagall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

One more thing. I repeated the data entry described above with Spell Catcher off. The numbers appeared in the cells as fast as I could type them. With Spell Catcher on there was 5-15 second delay in for the numbers to appear and for the cursor to move from cell to cell.

Rich

#5 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Wow, something's definitely up. Can't say what it might be, though. While those Console entries look a bit suspicious, I've never seen anything like them before, and don't really know what they really mean. The fact that they occur about a minute apart is, well, interesting.

Does this happen in any other apps? Other MS Office apps perhaps?

Has this been happening in Excel with Spell Catcher ever since you can remember? Or were things OK at some point, then this started happening?

I wonder if using Spell Catcher’s input method component in Excel makes any difference? See this FAQ for instructions on how to set Spell Catcher’s Preferences, just substitute Excel for Outlook.

Anyway, no other reports of this, and definitely not normal.

#6 rsagall

rsagall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

The problems just recently started happening. I don't recall any new app installations that coincide with the problems.

The issues are only with Excel and Word, not PowerPoint. I don't use any other MS products.

Spell Catcher crashed this AM while I was using Word. Attached is the crash report. Maybe it will tell you something.

Rich

Attached File  Spell Catcher Crash Report.doc   85.5KB   1 downloads

#7 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

While it doesn't look like this particular crash explains the performance issue you're having, it's possible that the reason for it somehow relates.

I can't say for certain why this crash is occurring (something to do with Spell Catcher’s Learn Word function) - but it's definitely not something I'm aware of or have seen before.

Do you recall whether it happened shortly after you had Spell Catcher Learn a word? If so, can you reproduce it? Or even remember what that word might have been?

I'd like to find out more about what's going on - but if you can't reproduce it that's going to be difficult. If you can reproduce it, it might be useful if I could share your computer's screen via iChat. First, though, let me know if you are able to get this crash to happen again. Looks like it's very infrequent, but let me know what you find out and we'll go from there.