• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 louabill

louabill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

When I installed the Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7 from via Software Update, every field which had a non-Spell Catcher autocomplete would hang the entire computer for several minutes. Examples are the input in the search box in Safari or the input box in Quicksilver.

After uninstalling my beloved Spell Catcher, autocomplete fields no longer hangs the system. So... I'm guessing there could be some sort of a conflict between Spell Catcher's input method and whatever the update installed.

In case it makes a difference, there is another bad outcome of the Java update, in that if I try to open a new Terminal window, or a tab within the Terminal, the same hang happens, even after Spell Catcher has been uninstalled.

I'm also guessing that this could be something particular to my system, because I would be surprised if I were the first person to have this problem.

In any case, if anyone has hints about how to fix the problem, I'm all ears.

Bill

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Have you reinstalled Spell Catcher X, and if so, can you reproduce this?

What version of Spell Catcher are you using?

It definitely sounds like something is up on your system - hard to imagine what the Java update would have to do with it, especially with your observation regarding the Terminal.

(There haven't been any other reports of this).

When this happens (the Terminal issue), do you see anything "suspicious" output to the Console (system.log)?

As well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "every field which had a non-Spell Catcher autocomplete". Can you elaborate? Does it happen if you log in to a fresh, new user account? What browser and version are you using? What web page(s) do you see it in?